Answered

Sonos app displays DD Plus 5.1 on certain netflix Atmos movie(s)

• 22 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

My Sony tv has eARC and I have the Netflix premium ultravHD . Watching a series that showed in Netflix description as Atmos was showing only Dolby Digital plus 5.1 on the Sonos app. So I put on different movies that has the description of atmos as it’s content. Some displayed Atmos on the Sonos app, some didn’t. Example..6 Underground showed Atmos where Barbarians ll showed the 5.1.. any idea why it would be different? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 October 2022, 06:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

A few things to mention here, so as not to rule anything in, or out, at this stage…

Where is the Netflix App, is it on an external device connected to the Sony TV, or an App that’s installed on the TV? My thoughts are it might ‘perhaps’ be the way the TV (or in-between devices) is transcoding and/or reporting the type of Audio to the Sonos HT device. I have seen this reported IIRC with either an Apple TV 4K or FireTV 4K where the TV’s digital audio out setting is also set to ‘Auto’ and the TV incorrectly reports the type of audio, but I can’t recall if it involved a Sony TV?

The other and far-more-likely issue however,. is that Netflix have incorrectly labelled the audio for the movie in their App. It certainly would not be the first time that has happened.

If it is the Netflix App on an external device, it might be worth checking to see if there are any firmware/software updates for both the TV and/or the connected device. If it’s not Netflix App labelling, I think it could help if the TV digital sound out can be set to pass-through and/or perhaps see if anything changes if the TV eARC feature is switched off.

Hope you can get to the root cause.. the above is just some things to perhaps consider @Dogdad.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Ken_Griffiths .. app is installed in Sony tv. I’m also thinking it’s incorrectly labeled. I’ll just have to look at the Sonos app to see if I’m really watching an Atmos  movie. Knowing that it shows Atmos mostly on the said Atmos labeled movies is good and I won’t loose any sleep. Presently watching the Apple series SEE shows Atmos on the app.. so definitely a Netflix mistake. 

Yes, it’s still well spotted though @Dogdad.👍 I suspect it’s Netflix labelling, it’s been mentioned before, but it’s always worth exploring such things, just in case there proves to be a labelling issue in the Sonos App.

My money is on it being incorrectly labelled by Netflix.

I’m pretty sure whatever comes out the speakers will be correct and what was sent by the connected device. (famous last words😁).

Userlevel 7

@Dogdad Some shows only have Dolby Atmos audio on certain seasons. For example… Stranger Things only has Dolby Atmos on season 4. The first three seasons are in Dolby Digital Plus. Are you sure Barbarians has Dolby Atmos on both seasons? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Dogdad Some shows only have Dolby Atmos audio on certain seasons. For example… Stranger Things only has Dolby Atmos on season 4. The first three seasons are in Dolby Digital Plus. Are you sure Barbarians has Dolby Atmos on both seasons? 

I’m watching season 2.. labeled vision Atmos on home page..

Userlevel 7

That’s a German show. Are you watching it with the German or English audio track? The Dolby Atmos audio track is probably only on the German track.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

That’s a German show. Are you watching it with the German or English audio track? The Dolby Atmos audio track is probably only on the German track.

Well damn…never noticed..English track. Makes sense 😂 just changed to German and shows atmos.