Sonos App About My System Displaying False Information? - Dolby Atmos

• 24 June 2020
  • 5 replies

My specs:

• TV: Samsung MU7000, Bitstream, DD+

• App: Plex on TV app

• Sonos system: Arc + One SL's

• Phone: iPhone XS Max

Problem: Navigating in the Sonos app > System > About My System the Audio In displays Dolby Atmos (DD+) while playing the Dolby test. When the test played the upfiring speakers sound I heard the sound coming from the rear speakers instead. I walked up to my Arc to verify that no sound was coming from it at all.

Expectation: If my Sonos app shows Dolby Atmos (DD+) I expect my system to output whatever is displayed

Makes me question what determines what gets displayed in the Audio In section, and whether or not I’m actually receiving true Atmos. Especially since it displays Dolby Atmos (DD+) as I’m playing Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My specs:

• TV: Samsung MU7000, Bitstream, DD+

• App: Plex on TV app

• Sonos system: Arc + One SL's

• Phone: iPhone XS Max

Problem: Navigating in the Sonos app > System > About My System the Audio In displays Dolby Atmos (DD+) while playing the Dolby test. When the test played the upfiring speakers sound I heard the sound coming from the rear speakers instead. I walked up to my Arc to verify that no sound was coming from it at all.

Expectation: If my Sonos app shows Dolby Atmos (DD+) I expect my system to output whatever is displayed

Makes me question what determines what gets displayed in the Audio In section, and whether or not I’m actually receiving true Atmos. Especially since it displays Dolby Atmos (DD+) as I’m playing Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime

According to this link the Plex App on some TV’s downgrades the Atmos content to 5.1. However you may need to double check the information mentioned... 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/

Same issue. 

Samsung UN75MU8000

Sonos Arc

Sonos 2 App

Using Amazon Prime app on my Samsung smart tv, it shows Dolby Atmos on my iPhone and iPad apps when playing Jack Ryan.  
Using Vudu playing San Andres Fall, I know I know… for testing purposes only, it does not show its playing Atmos on the Sonos apps. I have made sure the movie description shows it does provide Dolby Atmos experience, and my settings are set to play the best quality. 
So is it producing Atmos through the Arc and just not registering on the Sonos app? Or is it the Arc not producing the effect although it should?

I guess I should be able to tell with my ears but I don’t get the difference yet. Maybe when this issue is straightened out I will. 
Also I get that the Apple TV won’t play through the Arc, and the reasons why. 

I’ll post this in another thread, but since you have the Samsung as well, are you able to switch between TV speakers & the Sonos arc using the Samsung tv options?  When I try to switch it to tv speakers after 2-3 seconds it automatically switches back to Sonos Arc. I assume this wouldn’t be an issue if you can turn off the Sonos but you can’t. Only way is to go into settings and turn off anytime device setting. That gives the tv issues when turning back on and not connecting to all devices again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s not a fault, it’s a feature! HDMI-CEC knows you have a soundbar an sends all the sound to it automatically. Since you have a soundbar the TV speakers (Bad sound) are of no use…...

I’ll post this in another thread, but since you have the Samsung as well, are you able to switch between TV speakers & the Sonos arc using the Samsung tv options?  When I try to switch it to tv speakers after 2-3 seconds it automatically switches back to Sonos Arc. I assume this wouldn’t be an issue if you can turn off the Sonos but you can’t. Only way is to go into settings and turn off anytime device setting. That gives the tv issues when turning back on and not connecting to all devices again 

I can confirm that I have the same behavior, but like what 106rallye mentioned I’m assuming its the expected behavior.

Regarding my original issue: I tried again yesterday on the built in TV VUDU app and played Just Mercy, app read Dolby Atmos (DD+). I am on Netflix premium and only get Dolby Digital Plus 5.1...There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies