Question

sonos and samsung tv's

• 14 July 2017
  • 2 replies

i thought i was happy when my 10 year old system stopped working, i was excited to get my sonos surround system, already have a Play 3. I thought i would have a easy setup, tv, via optical cable to sonos, and my 4 new speakers. but as i read all this info, i think i am screwed. tv only puts out dolby digital plus, or sts studio sound, or dts premium sound 5.1, and sonos does not like any of those. tv is a Samsung UN65ju6500F what can i do

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi jgmic 1989, have you actually tried connecting your Sonos and your TV?
I've had a look at the TV specs and the Dolby MS 11 which is stated in the TV spec. According to Dolby the Dolby MS 11 (Multistream Decoder) "provides a Dolby Digital output Compatible with existing home theater systems and with all worldwide broadcast transmission formats".
It goes on to say "For maximum compatibility with the worldwide installed base of home theater systems that incorporate Dolby technologies, and for connectivity over S/PDIF interfaces, the decoder also generates a standard Dolby Digital bitstream output (up to 5.1 channels) from any incoming audio coding format, which can also be an encode of the 5.1 mix from dual 5.1 decoders, all contained within the one Multistream Decoder package".
If all the above is true i would expect it to work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Furthermore. There is very little chance all your video inputs are ONLY DTS or DD+