Answered

Sonos Amp Problem

• 25 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have had the Sonos amp for a few weeks in a living room setup and for the most part am enjoying it. The issue I am having is when watching 5.1 content through an apple tv 4k where I have media files we play back with infuse 6. On these files, they play fine but loud passages such as explosions, crashes etc are much much louder than they should be and dialogue is then very quiet relative to other sounds. Because some of the video content has DTS as the default audio format I have set the apple tv 4k to downmix to stereo. Anyone else have this issue?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 January 2021, 01:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Have you perhaps tried using the ‘Night Mode’ / ‘Speech Enhancement’ settings available on the Sonos App’s "Now Playing" screen, maybe combined with EQ adjustments (Bass/Treble/Loudness) (to suit your own hearing/environment) available in the Amps ‘Room/Sound’ Settings in "Settings/System”, to see if those different customisable options, make a difference for you?

Badge

Have you perhaps tried using the ‘Night Mode’ / ‘Speech Enhancement’ settings available on the Sonos App’s "Now Playing" screen, maybe combined with EQ adjustments (Bass/Treble/Loudness) (to suit your own hearing/environment) available in the Amps ‘Room/Sound’ Settings in "Settings/System”, to see if those different customisable options, make a difference for you?

Thanks for your reply. Definitely is not an EQ/loudness thing. It appears there may be a flaw downmixing 5.1 material. I need to test with regular stereo material but the imbalance between loud explosions etc and dialogue requires a lot of fiddling with the volume. Night mode mode and the speech enhancement… will give it a try. Didn’t have this issue with the receiver I replaced, so was a bit puzzled by it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Night mode does help in my experience with my amp. But I still constantly turning the volume up and down during a show/movie trying to find the perfect spot for dialogue vs other sound. 

Badge

Night mode does help in my experience with my amp. But I still constantly turning the volume up and down during a show/movie trying to find the perfect spot for dialogue vs other sound. 

Do you find it is with just content with lfe (ie 5.1 material).? Never have an issue with stereo programming or music. The is not an issue with a regular receiver when using with just stereo speakers.