sonos:amp no sound via optical out

• 15 August 2019
  • 9 replies

I just hooked up a brand new sonos amp to my tv. It’s an older samsung so it doesn’t have hdmi arc. I used the official sonos hdmi to optical adapter but am not able to get sound from the tv.

I can confirm that the speakers are set up and working (can stream to them via Google Play Music).

I have used the optical out from my Tv before with other receivers and can confirm it works.

Have tried plugging and unplugging all connections.

Help please!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Have you confirmed the type of signal that is coming across the optical output? Sonos can only interpret either Dolby Digital or stereo. If your TV is sending something else, such as DTS, Atmos, or Dolby Digital Plus, the Sonos would not be able to interpret it.
Have you selected TV as thr audio source in the Browse tab in the app?
Confirmed that TV is selected as the audio source. I’m pretty sure the TV is outputting PCM (all other options are greyed out)
Have you removed the plastic cap from the optical cable? ... I’ve heard others have accidentally left it in place. Other obvious thing is to check the cable is seated correctly and/or maybe replace the HDMI cable.
Plastic cap is off. Have plugged and unplugged the optical cable as firmly as possible multiple times. Will try a different hdmi cable after work tonight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Go to the About page and see what kind of signal the AMP thinks it is getting.

(Sonos would save us all a lot of work if only they would move this data onto the main screen in the damn app).
From the about page:
Audio in: No signal
😐
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Samsung model #? I assume you have verified the TV settings have enabled optical out.
I would try a different optical cable, in case it has failed. Do you have a source with an optical out (e.g. DVD player, satellite box) that you could run the cable from, instead of from the TV (just as an experiment). It is weird that PCM is the only non-greyed-out format option and I can't help wondering if it is some sort of setting on the TV that is cauising the problem. Optical direct from source would allow that to be eliminated.