SKY Q compatible

• 2 August 2018
  • 2 replies

I want to purchase a sound bar with extra speakers and a sky Q system. Will this work/ be compatible if the Sound bar plugs in directly to the tv and not the Sky Q. The Sky Q box will be in a different room to the TV. The Sky Q box will be connected to the TV by a Cat5 cable if this makes any difference. I assume the sound will work if I play Netflix or Amazon through the TV as well?? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Steve,

I think you meant to say that your sky Q box will connect to your LAN with a cat 5 cable ?

From what I have read online...
You will need a sky Q 'mini' receiver box next to your TV. Connect that 'mini' to the TV over HDMI.

Check your TV manual (or contact the support desk) to ensure the TV routes the HDMI audio signal across to the toslink optical-out port when it’s enabled. It’s extremely rare to see a TV that doesn’t do that, but worth just a quick check.

Then connect your Sonos PlayBar to the TV optical out ...and you should be good to go.

You can then bond the PlayBar with a sub and two further Sonos speakers to create a 5.1 Dolby Surround setup.

Note the PlayBar does not support the DTS codec (but not relevant for Sky Q).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
SkyQ mini will not give you 4K UHD either, only the main 2Tb box can do that.