Answered

Sky Q and Sonos 5.1 set up with Sony TV clarification needed please?

• 15 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi - I have just set up a new 5.1 set up which consists of a Playbar, a sub, a One and a One SL and first to a Sky Q 2TB Box and a Sony 4K TV and first and foremost must say it sounds awesome when playing a movie on Netflix through my Sky Subscription. My question is, should I be hearing surround for all SKY content or is this just for movies and certain programmes broadcasting in 5.1. My set up is SKY Q box into TV by HDMI and the Playbar connected to the TV via the optical cable. In the Sky menu settings Digital audio output HDMI is set to Dolby Digital Plus and Digital audio output optical is set to Dolby Digital. Does anyone have a steer they can provide please? Many thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 March 2020, 20:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Change that setting from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital, and you should be in business. Sonos can’t ‘read’ Dolby Digital Plus. 

Thanks so much Airgetlam. I’ve done as suggested and it’s worked! The support is really appreciated 😊

If only Sonos paid me :)

You're welcome!

Hi all. I have the same issue with sky q hdmi to Samsung TV. Optical TV to playbar and 2 play 1s. Great sound on uhd movies via sky or Netflix all 5.1. All standard sky channels are either stereo or dolby 2.0. How can I get 5.1 across the board? My sky hdmi and optical are set to dolby digital and my TV the same. 

The fact that it works for uhd sky movies means the setup does work just can't figure out why normal sky channels aren't working. I just thought sky must not support 5.1 for normal channels but then seen others appear to have it working. 

Thanks all