Setting up Playbar to Samsung QLED that has no optical output

• 13 February 2021
  • 15 replies

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have a new Samsung tv the does not have an Optical out so I bought a converter box to convert HDMI to optical for my Sonos Playbar. I’ve been in this for days now with no luck. Can anyone help. 
I have used HDMI (arc) then HDMI 1 ???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The ideal solution is to use an HDMI cable from the eARC port on your TV to your Arc.  You don’t mention what your TV model is, so I can’t determine what your TV’s ports are.

Perhaps, you could let us know what your TV model is...

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The tv model is QE50Q60TAUXXU 

The OP has a Playbar, hence needs to get to optical somehow. 

It may come down to using an HDMI-ARC audio extractor adapter, but it would indeed be useful to know what ports are available on the TV first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The OP has a Playbar, hence needs to get to optical somehow. 

It may come down to using an HDMI-ARC audio extractor adapter, but it would indeed be useful to know what ports are available on the TV first.

Sorry @Dukedave Ratty is correct in pointing out my mistake. I was helping someone with an Arc before and hadn’t engaged brain again! ;) 

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The tv model is QE50Q60TAUXXU 

The specs say that only has eARC (or Bluetooth). You’d therefore need an extractor such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Extractor-Converter-Support-Digital-Black/dp/B07CWMRG2C though that’s only from a cursory search and there could be more suitable ones. 

You said you’d already bought a converter. Which one? 

No problems any help may just save my weekend !, I have bought a converter box but again don’t know if set up properly. Sorry but I ain’t that tech savvy 

cheers guys 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Some converters only work one-way only - did you get one that converts optical-to-HDMI rather than HDMI-to-optical?

Bought this. HDMI to HDMI + audio (SPDIF + L+R)

That doesn’t help much. Post a link to the one you bought.

There are HDMI audio extractors which have ARC and those that don’t. You need the former.

Bought from Amazon 

LiNKFOR HDMI Audio Extractor HDMI to Toslink Analog Stereo R/L Audio Converter

That converter extracts audio from the HDMI coming from an external device such as a Bluray player. It won’t work for audio from your TV. You need something that supports ARC.

You can scroll down your Amazon page to see alternative devices which would work.

Or follow the link I posted above to see the kind of device you’d require. There’s a diagram on Amazon showing how it’s connected.

In my simple mind I was thinking any HDMI output would work…….. so purchase the correct extractor and use arc 

Thanks for your help Ratty 

I was looking at the QE50Q60TAUXXU TV on the Samsung website and noticed this too… (see attached). FWiW

So my thoughts are that only stereo PCM audio output is going to be achieved here, even when the extractor is switched for one which has an audio return channel.

The playbar was bought really to add to my other Sonos for music. I will bear that in mind when connecting. 

I was looking at the QE50Q60TAUXXU TV on the Samsung website and noticed this too… (see attached)

The TV doesn’t actually need an inbuilt decoder. It just has to export the bitstream.