Answered

Setting up Home Theater with Playbar 5.1 with Epson 5050ub Projector - Advice?

• 19 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Every home automation company I have talked to is advising against the idea of using Sonos with a projector at all.  I would like to make it work in order to avoid paying for Savant/Control 4, and so I can have it work with all of the other Sonos speakers I plan on having around the house.  What is the best way to go about this?  My plan is below, will it work?

Epson 5050ub is connected to Apple TV 4k via HDMI.  Apple TV connected to Sonos 5.1 (playbar, sub, 2 back speakers for surround) via Airplay or optical (using adapter at Apple TV).

Based on what I have seen on here, I believe this should work.  What do you think?  Is there a better way?  Is Airplay or optical better for this application?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 February 2020, 15:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hi

Below is my standard recommendation to integrate Sonos with a projector of any type using a HDMI/Optical Extractor similar to the one in the link:

1. AppleTV HDMI-Out to HDMI-In port of the HDMI/Optical Extractor
  2. HDMI-Out from HDMI/Optical Extractor to HDMI-In of Projector
  3. Optical Out from HDMI/Optical Extractor to Optical-In of Playbar
  4. Sonos One SL x 2 as surrounds bonded to Playbar
  5. Sonos Sub bonded to Playbar
  6. Two extra HDMI-In ports are available for other devices on the HDMI/Optical Extractor 

Note: Using Sonos One SL as surrounds negates AirPlay. Alternative 1: You could use a Sonos Beam instead of the Playbar to get Airplay capability. However, the Beam is not as robust as the Playbar so there is a slight trade-off. Alternative 2: Keep the Playbar and purchase a 3rd Sonos One SL to start Airplay and then group with Playbar.

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Extractor-Splitter-Support/dp/B07K5FYW5M/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?crid=2C4LW8GSV095N&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1582120850&sprefix=hdmi+optical%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM1FFUU9ORDFFUUJSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODg1NzI4OUY3QzQyTlU2S1IwJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3ODI5MDYxN1dVSzc5VFQ3TEtIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==