Answered

Separate use of Sonos one with home theatre

• 26 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I have two Sonos one’s which I use as a paired set in the same room as a playbar and sub connected to a TV. I want to use the one’s independently as a pair (with Alexa) and occasionally use as a home theatre with the play bar and sub. Is there any other way to do this apart from grouping to get true home theatre?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 26 December 2018, 21:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not easily. You would need to unbond the surrounds when you want music, and rebond them when you want surround.

As an alternative, you can set the surrounds to 'Full" for music so they play full volume for music sources. The Playbar and Sub will still be in the mix, but it gets you closer to what you wish. Do do so:

Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Room Settings.
Select the room the home theater speakers and surround speakers are located in. It appears as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.
Select Advanced Audio > Surround Settings.
Music Playback: Choose Ambient (default; subtle, ambient sound) or Full (enables louder, full range sound). This setting applies only to music playback, not TV audio.
Thank you jgatie. I thought it may not be easy, however I have not set up the Sonos one's with the sub and playbar as home theatre yet, just paired them together as a different room. This means when I select the room the home theatre is in they don't appear on the room settings menu. I have done some research that you can add them to the home theatre then remove them after to use independently. I don't want to try this as some people say Alexa will not work when you remove them, have you any experience in this?
Alexa works fine when used as surrounds. People get Alexa functionality mixed up with Airplay 2, which is not possible in that configuration because the Playbar is the master unit, and there is no way for the Ones to do Airplay deciding and also play the single surround channel at the same timel