Samsung / Sky Q / Beam - ANY success stories?

• 28 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Hey everyone -

I bought a Beam last week, lovely bit of kit.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the purchase of a Samsung TV (the UE50NU7400 to be precise) but I'm frankly terrified at all the reports of people being unable to get DD from Sky Q (and indeed many other sources) whilst using ARC between Beam and Samsung TV. Sky Q is our primary source of content and I'd be loathed to fallback to optimal and lose the Alexa integration.

So... is anyone successful in getting DD sound with a Beam connected via ARC to a Samsung (ideally a UE50NU7400) TV?

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have this problem after buying my Beam last week

Basically no Dolby from Sky q 2TB using the arc between the Beam and TV Samsung ue46es6300

I get Dolby using the Optical into the Q Box - but then cannot use the apps from the TV or the remote control.

So far Sonos have tried to help me by offering possible solutions, sadly none have these worked I suspect they are about to blame everyone else and wash there hands of it.

I WILL TAKE IT FURTHER AND FURTHER if necessary as I have invested heavily in other Sonos equipment and don't want to have to have two systems.

I shall keep everyone posted
I have this problem after buying my Beam last week

Basically no Dolby from Sky q 2TB using the arc between the Beam and TV Samsung ue46es6300

I get Dolby using the Optical into the Q Box - but then cannot use the apps from the TV or the remote control.

So far Sonos have tried to help me by offering possible solutions, sadly none have these worked I suspect they are about to blame everyone else and wash there hands of it.

I WILL TAKE IT FURTHER AND FURTHER if necessary as I have invested heavily in other Sonos equipment and don't want to have to have two systems.

I shall keep everyone posted

@simondixon what model Samsung TV do you have?

I was pointed towards this page: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough which lists Samsung models that supports DD passthrough via ARC.
Thanks for that I will have a look
I have a Samsung ES8000 (2012 model) and I was having the issue of quiet volume and only stereo with the beam connected via the HDMI ARC port. Resolved this by (making sure your source is SKY Q first) and going (on the TV) into Menu > Sound > Additional Settings > SPDIF Output > Audio Format. This was set to PCM, changed it to Dolby Digital and everything now works fine and Sonos app reports DD 5.1.
Did you ever resolve this @simondixon ? Got problem with sound from Sky Q 1TB box being half the volume of Spotify, Anazon Fire TV etc.