Question

s1 surround speakers

• 24 May 2020
  • 5 replies

Are we still able to use S1 devices for surround speakers in s2?

if it, what is the recommended setup for existing wired surround speakers? Amp works great for the front speakers and connect:amp is fine for surround but are we really now expected to buy TWO AMPs just for wired surround sound with S2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not sure what you mean here. What S1 speakers?

In general, S1 and S2 devices can not be in the same system. The only way you might have S1 as surround speakers is if you’re using an S1 capable CONNECT:AMP to drive your own speakers as surrounds. 

I can't make any sense of this question either.  For a start, what do you mean by S1 speakers?

What can be said is that post-June you won't need any more or fewer Sonos devices to do surround sound. 

Are we still able to use S1 devices for surround speakers in s2?

if it, what is the recommended setup for existing wired surround speakers? Amp works great for the front speakers and connect:amp is fine for surround but are we really now expected to buy TWO AMPs just for wired surround sound with S2.

All speakers that can be bonded as surrounds are S2 compatible. Or are you hinting at a pre-2015 Connect:AMP?

Not sure what you mean here. What S1 speakers?

In general, S1 and S2 devices can not be in the same system. The only way you might have S1 as surround speakers is if you’re using an S1 capable CONNECT:AMP to drive your own speakers as surrounds. 

This Q&A is relevant to me as in my current set-up I have a 2018 Sonos playbar on my tv with an associated pre-2015 Connect Amp driving 2 rear ceiling speakers for surround sound. I have other Sonos devices that are all S2-compatible so I am looking to upgrade though haven’t done so yet. Can I continue to use my pre-2015 Connect Amp in this way in an S2 set up? If yes, will the association of the Connect Amp to the playbar be sustained during the S2 upgrade or is follow-up action required to re-associate? Thanks!

You cannot use a legacy C:A in any way in an S2 system