Question

Running a Playbar as a stereo/mono speaker

• 5 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Can you run the playbar as a play 1 style mono speaker i.e. turn of the sound processing for streamed music (for TV the surround/processing etc is fine).

When streaming music to the playbar I find the sound processing on it makes a mess of the music so I'm looking for the playbar to act as a clean neutral speaker in a group.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Oh oh.... I'm ducking to avoid the flames. :D

I think the comments you are likely to hear relate to the fact there is *always* 'processing' being done for any system to play audio when you understand that the Sonos devices are retrieving digital files to use in making the noise they make....

So your comment on 'clean neutral' isn't really an objective comment, but a subjective one relating to what you want/expect to hear.

Have you utilized the truplay or eq options? Given the playbar has 9 speaker drivers (6 midrange and 3 tweeters) ... it simply isn't a 'mono' product... not sure what it could do that would meet this description....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd get a pair of Play 1s and add them as surrounds and set Music playback to "Full"
Hi guys thanks for the replies and the constructive comments- my original comment re neutral sound refers to the fact that sound bar appears to be attempting to create a 2.1 sound source from stereo input. Thus creating a loud center speaker sound with quieter stereo imagery on the left and right speaker arrays. What I want is to stop the 2.1 sound processing (e.g. turn off the central speaker) and use left and right speakers or just have mono out of them. Also I believe (though I may be wrong here) that the playbar is also doing some phase changing to create a 'bigger' surround sound experience. All of which is great for TV watching, but not so (for me) for stereo streamed music.

Stuart_W Thanks for the comments re adding rear Play 1's (in my case) I cannot add them as there is no physical location to place them in the room, though for others reading this it might well help.

I'm sure for most people the playbar sounds fine for streamed stereo music (and that's great) I was just wanting to try to configure the way I wanted it and exploring the system capabilities.

Having spent a lot of time thinking, testing, listening and talking to other Sonos users I have come to the conclusion that its not possible (currently) to stop the playbar turning the stereo sound into a 2.1 sound and my only option would be to have two independent sonos setups in the room, one to handle the TV and another for music.

Note. I had thought about feeding the TV sound into a sonos Connect line in, then using play1's as a stereo pair to play the connects line input. This would then allow me to also get stereo streamed music (as I wanted it) and act as stereo speakers for the TV, and since my TV allows me to modify lip sync I don't think this would be a problem.... however the downside to this setup is that you don't get the central (.1) speaker for the dolby encoded TV sound which is important for me and volume control becomes a bit more problematic. So I rejected that setup. (Though cost wise its about the same cost for the Sonos connect+2*Play 1's as it is for the playbar).

But then maybe somebody has a way around these issues as well...

Anyway thank you for taking the time to read/help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Best of luck in finding a solution that you like... just a side comment for future posts/reference. when you refered to the ".1". above.. In typical reference, the ".1" reference - as in "5.1" - is actually the Subwoofer audio channel and it sounds like you are referring to it as the centre channel in your reference in your comments.

I think I still get what you mean, (I think) .... but I think what you are asking for isn't really aligned with the configuration of the Playbar in my opinion. Yes... It is my understanding that the playbar, when it has the appropriate signal... which I think with most sources is practically always, has the ability (and the length) to create stereo separation and does so. Just for interest you can see graphic attached.... I'm not an audio engineer, so my opinion is only that derived from my limited personal experience informed by my personal interests. If you don't find that sounds like you would like... I may have what might sound to be an odd recommendation... but work with me here... (and I know it isn't an inexpensive option... but)

The addition of a SUB bonded to the playbar very very very (can I add more "very's"?) substantially transforms the device's performance in my opinion. The offloading of the lows to the SUB (which the SUB handles so awesomely it is fantastic) enables the playbar to become something really tremendous. I personally find the playbar alone to lack... "depth", but with the addition of the SUB it totally transforms how the device responds and the combination really is exceptional. I have two playbars ... and two SUBs bonded to them... because the device without it seems to leave me wanting ever so slightly(sorry Sonos... but it's true) for both TV and audio... but with the SUB?? unbelievable.. really it is that transformational to me.

So, with the 45 day return policy Sonos has for any product **purchased directly from them**.... this may be something you really want to consider trying before you spend the cash to get a connect, and play 1's and fight to see if you can align the sync (which I personally wouldn't enjoy ... at all).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be honest I find it hard to believe that you don't have the room beside you for 2 x Play 1s. They are about 4" square at most.
Sorry for the 2.1 I had meant 3.1 - late night thanks

Stuart again thank you - the room is in fact too big for them - there are are no safe places (health and safety etc) to attach them and the rear walls (are a way off and already covered with other things) but I take your point re their size.

Thanks again for your help I will build a second system.