Revert to TV speakers

• 6 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a Beam connected to a Panasonic via HDMI-ARC & Viera Link. Sometimes I want to use just the TV speakers but the the Beam won't relinquish control. I can select TV speakers in Viera Tools and they start up briefly, but then the Beam re-asserts control. I understand that if I've shelled out for a Home Cinema setup, I might be expected to want to use it, but I'd like to have the choice

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Go in to your room settings for the Beam, and turn off "autoplay". That will keep the TV from assuming control over your music.
Userlevel 7
Hi SoCalledNickC

If I'm reading your post correctly you want the Beam to stop overriding your TV speakers after you have selected them in the Panasonic menu. I don't know why you'd want to negate the Beam...but each to his own.

Airgetlam suggested turning off "auto play" and that may work. I have a Beam but haven't had a need to test his suggestion. If Airgetlam's advice doesn't resolve your conundrum you may have to revert to Optical with Beam which essentially makes it operate like a Playbar or Playbase . In that configuration (Optical) there is no Audio Return Channel (ARC) communication between the Beam and your TV. You should be able to select your TV speakers with no override by the Beam. Let us know which suggestion works for you.

Cheers!
Thanks for both answers. I've tried deselecting Autoplay, but that just leaves me with no sound at all after I've switched TV and the Beam has done its thing, and taken back control. The optical solution is more faff than the problem warrants. The actual reason for my enquiry is that Mrs SoCalled finds the rear surround sound a bit of a distraction if we're not having a full-on movie night, though a more rational use case is that, with the Beam being the only AirPlay enabled device in my setup, I might want to be listening to music on a grouped speaker in another room over airplay from the Beam while someone else is watching TV. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions
Userlevel 7
OK..now I understand your issues better.

This solution requires that you purchase a Sonos One for $199 as your Airplay2 speaker. You can start Airplay2 on it and group with any Sonos speaker. In the Sonos App after grouping you can control the volume of each speaker individually.

As for Mrs SoCalled...just lower the volume of the surrounds in the Sonos App when not watching a full on Movie.

Cheers!