RePost: Sonos Arc + Gen3 Sub Placement question

• 12 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all, posting in this forum too, hoping it could help get me some assistance. I Hope it’s okay.

I’d love to get some help in positioning the Sonos Arc and Gen-3 Sub in my living room.

Background info:

I’m excited cause yesterday I purchased a 65 inch LG CX TV, along with the Sonos Arc and the Gen3 Sub (and an Xbox Series X but that’s prolly irrelevant). The whole thing should arrive by next week. Until then, I’m contemplating on the set up.

Current set up:

• Video: LG Plasma, 60 inch (Will be replaced with the LG CX, which is 10cm taller and 15cm wider).
  • Audio: Got an Onkyo Amp and 2 B&W Speakers which will be out of the way once the Arc arrives.
  • Gaming: Xbox One, will be replaced with Xbox Series X.
  • Distance between TV and me on the couch: 2.5Meters

The issue:

I love the placement of my current TV, and assume that for the best viewing experience I should place the new TV in the same height (from the ground up).

I was hoping to hang the Sonos Arc on the Wall Mount below the TV, and place the Sub so that it replaces one of the speakers that’s currently in the picture.

However, that kind of conflicts with the recommendations I learned about Sonos, as I understand it should be at least 10cm lower than the TV.

So the bottom line is:

Where would you recommend I place the Sonos Arc (and it’s sub?) Would it be possible to mount it under the TV considering it’s placement?

Attaching my living room’s pictures below.

Thanks everyone!

Alon

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

A few points.

1 - There is no need to double post.  Generally speaking the regulars and Sonos staff  here look for recent posts rather than looking in specific forums, so you don’t need to post in multiple forums for better coverage.

2 - The placement of the sub is really rather irrelevant, as the low frequencies it produces are omni-directional.  Mine is actually hidden behind my couch, out of sight.

3 -  The 10 cm rule has to do with making sure audio coming from the upfiring speakers is not blocked by the TV.  With your setup, I would just place the Arc on your cabinet below  the TV and move it forward, possibly all the way to the front, so audio isn’t blocked by anything.

4 - I could be off on this, but it looks as if you’re TV is ARC, not eARC.  Although you will be able to get sound out of the xbox setup, you will not get any ATMOS audio out of it.  For that, with an xbox source, you need eARC.  The good new is that you don’t neeed a new TV, you  can add an HD Fury Arcana to your setup, that will sit between your xbox and your TV/Sonos Arc.  Your TV will get the best possible video quality, and the Arc will get the best possibly audio quality, bypassing the audio limitations of your TV.  This is the setup that myself and many others on here are using with great success.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Danny.

Firstly, I understand. Apologies for the repost.. I was unsure if that’s okay. If a moderator sees this, please delete the duplicate (link).

About the Sub: Got it, that’s great! thank you.

Would there be any issues if I place the Arc as you suggested in bullet #3, but close to the wall and not obstructed by the TV? (rather then pulling it all the way to the front) I’ll clear the way from plants and such, but I’m hesitant due to the relatively wide credenza. Wouldn’t the wood block some of the speakers?

Regarding #4, thank you for the advice and for teaching me about that option! However, please note that the TV in the photo is my current TV, soon to be replaced with a 65’ LG CX (as mentioned earlier), which supports eArc. So I assume the HD Fury Arcana is not necessary for me, is that correct?

Would there be any issues if I place the Arc as you suggested in bullet #3, but close to the wall and not obstructed by the TV? (rather then pulling it all the way to the front) I’ll clear the way from plants and such, but I’m hesitant due to the relatively wide credenza. Wouldn’t the wood block some of the speakers?

The difference might be so minor that you don’t hear a signifcant difference.  You’ll have the chance to try both locations out to see what you like best for sound quality and aesthetics.

Regarding #4, thank you for the advice and for teaching me about that option! However, please note that the TV in the photo is my current TV, soon to be replaced with a 65’ LG CX (as mentioned earlier), which supports eArc. So I assume the HD Fury Arcana is not necessary for me, is that correct?

Apologies, I did a quick search on the net and it looked like that TV was ARC only.    You likely will not need Arcana in that case, but some have reported that their eARC TV adds processing delays that cause the audio to delay, or does not properly pass through the audio properly.  Perhaps just Arcana “in your back pocket” in case you run into issues with your TVs audio processing capability.