Question

Recommendations for setup and remote

Looking for help with home theater and remote setup. I have a Samsung UN70KU6300 70-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model), Amazon Fire TV, Sony Blueray player, and SONOS soundbar and two play 1s. Currently, all components are hooked up to tv directly. Most of the time we use the Fire TV and its remote - use of the Blueray player minimal. What is the best setup and is our only remote option the Sony Blueray player remote? I tried following instructions to use the Samsung TV remote, but it only seems to control soundbar volume when using the Blueray player and not the Fire TV

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

logitech, harmony will do the trick
I'll second that motion. Logitech's Harmony remotes are outstanding. I have two in my house, and they work flawlessly.
I've had several over the years, the latest being the ultimate home version, controls Sonos, Phillips hue, and any other component you can think of
I recently purchased the Harmony Elite and sent it back. After more reading I bought another and with the help of their customer service got exactly what I wanted. If you do get the Elite don't hesitate to let CS program it for you. Saves a lot od time and you can get it to function the way you want.
I recently purchased the Harmony Elite and sent it back. After more reading I bought another and wit the help of their customer service got exactly what I wanted. If you do get the Elite don't hesitate to let CS program it for you. Saves a lot of time and you can get it to function the way you want.
The elite is certainly a nice remote, I just couldn't get past the price, close to 5 bills here in Canada. Having said that, I've always wondered how the harmony pro compared to the elite, in my case the ultimate home was on sale for 2 bills and from what I could determine, the ulitmate home was just an obsolete version of the elite. As far as programming the remote, that is half the fun and satisfaction.
I've got a Pro and an Elite in my home. Basically the same device, just with different button placement. I've had the Pro for a long time (maybe 5 years? Not really sure). They do nick you for the Elite, although it's a nice device, but the Pro would do pretty much everything you need for a home theater except the lights and curtains....although I suspect there would be a way to do that with their pretty good software. The other nice thing about both of them is the iOS app, which is helpful when you don't want to get up and walk all the way to the other end of the couch to get it.... 🙂

They do have slightly different programming paradigms/interfaces, but if you know one, then the other's pretty easy to pick up. And at least the Elite interfaces with Alexa (and I think the Pro will to, but Amazon only has the ability for one to be connected at a time right now, so it's the living room's Elite, and the bedroom's Pro has to be hand operated, unfortunately)

You wouldn't be unhappy with either of them, in my humble opinion.
I really appreciate your comments and experiences with the harmony remotes. Kinda nice to hear from someone, that shares a passion for electronics, namely the harmony remotes. Having said that how pleased are you with amazons alexia and its intergration into your system. If I'm not mistaken, Alexia is still not available to us, Canuks
Airget, I have to agree the app is killer. One of the best features, especially on my iPad which has more real estate than my phone.
Ou812, you need to contact a friend in the states. You can get them for $300 US.
My pleasure.

Wouldn't fret too much about the Echo in Canada, although I'm a bit surprised that they released it in the UK before Canada. I'm sure that it's on its way fairly soon, and will be incredibly useful once Sonos and Amazon release their implementation of voice control for Sonos. I'm rather excited about that coming soon (please!). Fun to think about how difficult the implementation will be, given the wide variety of things that the Sonos can do.
so tired of shelling out cash to support my tv.

my journey:

1. buy smart tv
2. realize that the sound is really THAT bad
3. buy sonos sound bar
4. happy for a while
5. then realize the samsung smart stuff is not all that smart and crazy buggy
6. buy amazon fire to use instead of samsung smart OS
7. samsung remote no longer controls volume when watching on amazon fire

so my next step is to really buy a $300 remote?

can anyone tell me what happens after that?
Lmao: what happens after the purchase of a harmony remote : Solitude, finally. Look and wait for a sale.
Badge
Lmao: what happens after the purchase of a harmony remote : Solitude, finally. Look and wait for a sale.

Or find out what other smart devices your harmony remote supports (Hue, Alexa, etc.). More purchasing ensues and then the journey continues... 😃
Have to admit, life got significantly better when I finally got a harmony remote. Have had several at this point, they do a creditable job in expanding their service linking.