Answered

PS5 w 4KUHD disc + Sonos Arc + Sony X900F, but no Atmos

• 24 October 2021
  • 12 replies

I’m trying to get Atmos audio output (lossy, DD+ as it is routing through a normal ARC port) but have only been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1.  Hoping someone can solve the mystery for me.  Here are the particulars:

• PS5 with 4K UHD disc (Fury, has Atmos audio track selected)
  • PS5 into HDMI #2 (on X900F, ports 2 and 3 are high bandwidth, 3 is also ARC).  Using HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Arc.
  • HDMI #3 (ARC) to Sonos Arc (2 Sonos Ones also connected as surround sound channels).  Using 4K cable - with the built-in Netflix I can get the app to display “Atmos” with this cable so I don’t think that’s the problem.
  • PS5 audio set to Dolby
  • Disc audio (Options menu ...) set to Bitstream

...and still getting just DD 5.1.  No Atmos. 

Any ideas?  I can find any more settings to mess with.

icon

Best answer by Simmz 24 October 2021, 14:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

The PS5 only supports Dolby Atmos audio on Blu-ray and UHD discs, not from streaming apps. And a TV with HDMI eARC is required to play Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos from Blu-ray discs.

Have you tried playing Atmos content from your TV’s native apps like Netflix?

You might consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. It will allow the PS5 to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I use one with my old TV and UHD player and it works great.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

BTW… I’m a huge fan of Steven Wilson. I just got a copy of In Absentia on Blu-ray mixed in 5.1 and it sounds incredible playing on my Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup.

Thanks for the reply :) I’m playing a 4K UHD physical disc that has a Dolby Atmos track so the source is able to output Atmos.  I’m not expecting to play Dolby Atmos TrueHD (as I don’t have eARC for passthrough) but should still be able to get Dolby Digital + through my ARC port.  For some reason it’s only passing Dolby Digital 5.1 (per the Sonos app).

I mentioned it above but to answer your question, yes, I have been able to get Atmos content from the native Netflix app.  It shows as Dolby Atmos on the Sonos App but I understand while it is still Atmos this is actually lossy DD+ (not only because it’s passing through an ARC port but also because Netflix doesn’t output lossless Atmos TrueHD).

Steven Wilson is great!  Also a fan (as you’ve gathered).  Especially for the albums with Guthrie Govan on guitar.  That was a dream lineup.

Yeah, I’ve read up on the Arcana before.  Great that that product exists.  Might get it at some point but for now I’d really like to figure out how to get DD+ from the PS5 blu ray player to the arc!  Can’t figure out what I’m missing.

Userlevel 7

Dolby Atmos is only supported with a Dolby TrueHD track on 99% of Blu-ray and UHD discs. So if you don’t have a TV with HDMI eARC, you will not get Dolby Atmos audio from Blu-ray discs playing on the PS5. The Dolby TrueHD/Atmos track will play the core Dolby Digital track instead.

Even worse, if you play a disc with DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X without an eARC connection, you will only get Stereo PCM audio. But later this year, Sonos will introduce DTS support where you will get DTS Digital Surround audio from those discs.

Dolby Atmos with Dolby Digital Plus is mainly used for streaming, not physical media.

Oh, ok.  I was of the understanding that a Dolby Atmos track on a UHD disc could still pass DD+ through an ARC connection, similar to what occurs on Netflix.  That’s what I’ve read on other forum discussions (Reddit, etc).  Guess not!  That sucks but good to know.  Thanks :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Streaming services that support Dolby Atmos don’t use Dolby TrueHD as it’s too bandwidth-heavy, and instead encode Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus, which is encoded at between 384Kbit/s and 768Kbit/s. So, if you watch Netflix or Disney + etc, then you’re still getting a compressed version of Dolby Atmos.

The good news here is that if you have a TV with HDMI ARC that supports Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos, then you’ll get the same quality from streaming services as on a TV with HDMI eARC.

Things get a bit more complicated when it comes to external devices. Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray discs only carry Dolby Atmos as part of a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, which as we know can’t be passed through to the Sonos Arc, as there’s not enough bandwidth. There is a workaround: if your TV supports Dolby Atmos decoding natively, such as LG’s 2018 onwards OLED TVs, then the TV can decode the high-resolution Atmos input and re-encode it as Dolby Digital Plus to send to the Sonos Arc.

You get a slightly compressed version of the sound, but in practice, it’s hard to hear the difference as the change is subtle.

Well I’m definitely getting the idea now.  An Atmos TrueHD track does not have a DD+ core but rather, a Dolby Digital core.  My 2018 Sony X900F must not be able to decode the Atmos TrueHD input and re-encode it as Dolby Digital Plus.  So, with a TrueHD track I just get the core Dolby Digital track.  Thanks for dumbing it down for an simple audio peasant like me :laughing:

Might have to bite the bullet and pick up an HD Fury Arcana then, as suggested.  I’ve stared at the website a few times over the past week, considering the purchase.  If I could get DD+ from the current setup I would probably just decide to be happy with that.  Buuuuut, knowing I’m only going to be able to get Dolby Digital, well, maybe the additional purchase makes sense.  

My setup is just an Arc with 2 Ones.  Can’t add the Sonos sub as I’m apartment living.  I have the Arc bass tuned a little bit down in the EQ (-2) as it is now out of respect for my neighbours.  Do you think it’s worth the upgrade to the Arcana?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Without the sub I find EQ settings on -4 bass and -2 treble are the best anyway once tuned with trueplay. Gives the most natural sound. Then whack the height channel of the arc up to +6 (I know you can't use at the moment).

If you can afford it, I would say it is definitely worth it. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying an Arc really otherwise. 

While the overhead side of things may not be like a big cinema experience, you will definitely notice a much better sound stage by using the HD fury arcana. 

Gonna pull the trigger on the Arcana and I’ll definitely try those EQ settings on for size.  

Still getting Atmos channels firing from Netflix content.  Had height at +3 and slightly tilted the arc forward (seated approx 6ft from the arc, 9 ft flat ceiling) but I’ll pump it up to +6 and cue up some helicopter scenes to try it out, lol. 

Thanks for the feedback folks.  Much appreciated! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yeah if you have a lot of disks or rips, then definitely go for it. If happy with the streaming side save your pennies or weigh it up when you might replace the TV etc. 

The PS5 only supports Dolby Atmos audio on Blu-ray and UHD discs, not from streaming apps. And a TV with HDMI eARC is required to play Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos from Blu-ray discs.

Have you tried playing Atmos content from your TV’s native apps like Netflix?

You might consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. It will allow the PS5 to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I use one with my old TV and UHD player and it works great.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

BTW… I’m a huge fan of Steven Wilson. I just got a copy of In Absentia on Blu-ray mixed in 5.1 and it sounds incredible playing on my Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup.

I just got my PS5 today and i am looking for a solution with Dolby Atmos, After spending all day i found out that in Vudu i can watch all movies in Dolby Atmos no problem but Apple tv and Netflix no solution, so i think it’s something simple, But this is very frustrating. Thank you.

I just got my PS5 today and i am looking for a solution with Dolby Atmos, After spending all day i found out that in Vudu i can watch all movies in Dolby Atmos no problem but Apple tv and Netflix no solution, so i think it’s something simple, But this is very frustrating. Thank you.

It’s quite likely that the App or subscription level needs updating - for Netflix you need both the App that supports Atmos and a ‘premium’ subscription to their service. If the App supports Atmos you should see the word ‘Atmos’ near to the title of the Movie etc… see screenshot attached (just as an example) from the Netflix App in-built into an LG TV.

Userlevel 7

The PS5 doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio on Netflix or Apple TV+.