Question

PS5 - Sonos Arc - LG CX

• 19 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Will blu-ray discs played on a PS5 work with the Sonos Arc and an LG CX? Is there a DTS decoding issue at hand here?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @morrison22, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Yes, DTS is not supported by our Home Theater Speakers.

I would like to know where you’re planning to connect the Sonos Arc? because they’re designed to connect to a TV.

Here’s an article for setting up the PS4 with any of our Sonos Home Theater Speaker setups.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos Arc is hooked up to my LG CX OLED TV via eARC. The PS5 will be hooked up to my TV as well. I wasn’t sure if blu-ray discs would produce audio while hooked up to the arc. Even if it’s downgraded to stereo. Just not sure how that worked. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @morrison22, thank you for the update.

Since the PS5 hasn’t been released yet, there’s not much we can do to test the audio directly coming from the PS5.

In any case in your set up, the TV should be able to Transcode the audio output of the PS5 to the format the Arc can use.

Once released, hopefully our engineers can test the hardware compatibility and update the support page.

If you need anything else, other concerns; feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

TVs almost never transcode anything. At worst case you’ll get stereo, whether you get anything better depends on what the PS5 actually emits. PS4 is a problem with the Arc as it wants to send DTS which is not supported. Get an Xbox Series X instead of a PS5: Xboxes can transcode DTS to supported formats for Blu-ray playback.

Dear Kyle A,

I know PS5 is now just recently out and you’ll need some more time testing the waters with it. That being said, we, who purchased the Sonos Arc along with any other Sonos products connected to the 5.2.1 surround sound system purchased it with the idea that the high end quality would be matched by high quality audio formats. Sonos has tech that should be able to be handle whatever is thrown at it. Pleas, take into consideration what the people who spent their hard earned money not just on Sonos, but on products such as the PS5. Don’t make us look enviously at the Xbox Series X. Don’t make it even worse and question our purchase with Sonos. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

People have asked for DTS for years, it's not going to happen unfortunately.