PS3 + Monoprice HDMI switch = PLAYBAR

• 31 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Like many other PLAYBAR users, my TV does not Output Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound to the PLAYBAR, it would only output stereo. So I purchased the Monoprice 4x1 HDMI Switch with optical Output in hopes to solve this issue (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003L14WB8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514747722&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=monoprice+hdmi+switch&dpPl=1&dpID=41dWnTEGwRL&ref=plSrch).

I have the Apple TV 4 and PS3 running through the HDMI switch, optical out from switch to PLAYBAR and HDMI Output from switch to TV. Initially the Apple TV worked, but the PS3 did not as the sound continued to only pass stereo. However, after changing a few settings on the PS3, then it worked just fine. Here is what I did:
1. In Sound Sertings, change output settings from optical to HDMI, check Dolby Digital 5.1 box, and uncheck every other box.
2. In Video Sertings, go to BD/DVD Audio Ouput HDMI, and select Bitstream.
3. In Video Settings, go to BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital), and select Bitstream (Mix).

Now I get lovely Dolby Digital 5.1 to my PLAYBAR. Yippy!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, NotoriousEGB. Thanks for sharing this, this is some great info and I will definitely be referring other customers here for resolution with similar issues. Great! Let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
@NotoriousEGB thanks for the suggestion- Does this box allow you to turn on the tv using the apple tv remote? I.e. does it pass hdmi cec?