Project Essential Digital 2 & Sonos Beam - Optical Connection

• 22 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge
Has anyone had any luck with a record player and Sonos Beam via optical? I have recently purchased a Project Essential 2 Digital and I am struggling to get the audio to play successfully on my Beam.

I have connected the HDMI to optical lead that came with the Beam into the record player's optical out. The sound comes through, however it comes through intermittently. It will play for a second then cut out for a second and so forth.

If possible I would like to avoid purchasing a Connect and spend the money on some Play 1s instead.

Sorry if I am spamming anyone, I have posted this another person’s question.

Any info appreciated.

Tommy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi tommybang

I have a Beam but not using it in the manner you are. I'm not at home so I can't verify if the following setting exists for the Beam.

Go into the Sonos app under room settings for the Beam and see if there is an option to set the audio to Compressed. If so do it and then try playing your TT to the Beam.

If your issue is not resolved you have two options as I see it:

(1) Purchase a Sonos Connect
(2) Submit a diagnostic and post the reference ID in this forum. Then (from slowest to fastest) wait for a response or try Twitter or call Sonos Tech Support.

Good Luck. Cheers!
Badge
Thanks AJ will give that a go
The compression setting in Sonos is not relevant here.

@tommybang I found a user guide for the Essential 3 Digital (not the 2) which says the optical output can be switched between 24bit/48kHz and 24bit/96kHz. I don't know what the Essential 2 Digital is capable of, but I'm pretty sure Sonos would only accept 48kHz and to be honest it might object to 24bit. The Beam's optical adapter is for use with a TV and I'd be surprised if any delivered anything other than 16bit in PCM mode.
Badge
Thanks for taking the time to read up on the Pro-Ject user guide, Ratty. I can't see a way of switching the optical output on my turntable. Looks like a Connect might be inevitable. Shame as the sound does actually come through without one - just not continuously!