Answered

Problems connecting SONOS ARC to SONY OLED AG9 via eARC

• 4 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Dear all, I purchased a SONOS ARC about 3 weeks ago and immediately connected - via eARC HDMI port - to my SONY AG9 OLED TV.

It was recognized immediately, did my setup gig through the Android app and everything worked fine.

The system turns on and off as soon as the TV turns on and off too.

Since yesterday - inexplicably - the soundbar doesn't turn on anymore and the audio comes out classically from the Sony audio surface.
I went into the AG9's audio settings "Display and sound" --> "Audio output" and moved from "TV speaker" manually to "Audio system".
The audio finally comes back out of the soundbar but after about 10 seconds it comes back to the TV again with the error "TV Speaker Audio active due to communication error with Audio system".

I’d like to add that:
- the soundbar is working properly
- I have tried changing the HDMI cable
- the AG9 has the latest firmware installed.
- I have unplugged and re-plugged (reset) both power cables

I read somewhere that SONOS ARC might be incompatible with SONY TVs….please don’t tell me this is true and that I've flushed 900 euros down the toilet…..

P.S. local SONOS support (Italy) is not answering toll free number….

Many thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by vale69 4 January 2021, 20:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Is Bravia Sync activated on your TV?

I tried both: on and off, but result is still the same. After 10 seconds I get “audio system communication error” and sound goes back from SONOS ARC to TV….

I’m really depressed and worried….I don’t understand why it worked fine the first 2 weeks….

Userlevel 7

Keep Bravia Sync on. Also be sure Speaker settings are set to Audio System and Audio System Prioritization is switched on.

Nothing ! Tried all you suggested but again after 5-10 seconds it turns back from Audio System to TV Audio…..

I really don’t understand why it was working the first couple of weeks….

Is the SONOS ARC incompatible with SONY OLED TVs as someone affirms in our main local forum ?

That would be a disaster….

Userlevel 7

What is Digital Audio Out set to?

I tried all 3 options:

AUTO 1

AUTO 2

PCM 

nothing, still switching to TV speakers after 5 to 10 seconds, with the same “communication error”….

SOLVED !!!

Just for possible help of other users that may experience the same problem: it was an Android TV (Sony AG9) problem…..thanks to the suggestion of a Sony user on another forum, if you keep pressed on/off button of the Sony remote for more than 5 seconds, it shuts down all Android services and reboots the TV….after that problem solved !!

thanks anyway for your support

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

SOLVED !!!

Just for possible help of other users that may experience the same problem: it was an Android TV (Sony AG9) problem…..thanks to the suggestion of a Sony user on another forum, if you keep pressed on/off button of the Sony remote for more than 5 seconds, it shuts down all Android services and reboots the TV….after that problem solved !!

thanks anyway for your support

@vale69 I also have a Sony Bravia OLED TV.  I have not had that issue but I do have serious issues with the voices being low and action/music noises being overpowering.  i find myself constantly adjusting the volume whilst watching programmes and I find Dolby Atmos the worst for this, in that is actually not watchable.  Sonos help desk were no use whatsoever and suggested I should speak to Sony.  

Have you also have this issue? If not what setting do you have please for sound on your TV and your sonos?  At the moment the onlyway I have found to sort the issue is to have nightmode on constantly.  This is OK, but does lose some of the ‘oomph’ and makes me wonder why I have spent so much money on a arc, sub and one’s if I’m just going to surpress it.

Hi Gary,

sorry to hear that….to be honest - maybe my experience with soundbars in general is pretty limited - I did not find SONOS ARC to be that bad….if you play with those couple of settings within the SONOS APP on your smartphone, you can adjust the voice perception, reduce the overpower of bass (nightmode) and/or play a bit with the “equilizing” settings: have you tried these ?

I don’t understand SONOS support answer, SONY TV is only transmitting the audio channel via the eARC HDMI to the bar, how can it impact the quality of SONOS ?

I’ll check my settings for you in the weekend.

Dear all, I purchased a SONOS ARC about 3 weeks ago and immediately connected - via eARC HDMI port - to my SONY AG9 OLED TV.

It was recognized immediately, did my setup gig through the Android app and everything worked fine.

The system turns on and off as soon as the TV turns on and off too.

Since yesterday - inexplicably - the soundbar doesn't turn on anymore and the audio comes out classically from the Sony audio surface.
I went into the AG9's audio settings "Display and sound" --> "Audio output" and moved from "TV speaker" manually to "Audio system".
The audio finally comes back out of the soundbar but after about 10 seconds it comes back to the TV again with the error "TV Speaker Audio active due to communication error with Audio system".

I’d like to add that:
- the soundbar is working properly
- I have tried changing the HDMI cable
- the AG9 has the latest firmware installed.
- I have unplugged and re-plugged (reset) both power cables

I read somewhere that SONOS ARC might be incompatible with SONY TVs….please don’t tell me this is true and that I've flushed 900 euros down the toilet…..

P.S. local SONOS support (Italy) is not answering toll free number….

Many thanks in advance.

Hello, exact same set up and problem. Will try the above and see if it fixes the issue. Geek squad set the system up last night and could not figure it out...will report back