Question

Possible to use Amp toslink as input for 5.1 system (including a Beam)?

• 8 November 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a projector that doesn’t have any audio output, which I am planning to address with an HDMI audio extractor. So far, so good.

Now, there is a second problem: the screen is (obviously) on the opposite side of the room from the projector, which makes cable routing a challenge, and the needed length could easily exceed the common 5m toslink cable limit.

However, I am also planning to use 2 “dumb” speakers as surrounds via an Amp. The AMP itself has a toslink input, and because it’s naturally positioned near the rear of the room where the surrounds are, it’s also conveniently close to the projector/HDMI source.

So my question is: can I route in toslink via the rear Amp, but still have the bar act as the front speakers? It seems like overall this setup should work, but the Amp will need to somehow be told to swap virtual speaker positions with the bar.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

No. The HDMI input on the rear Amp is inactive. Besides, the 5.1 decode is done in the front Sonos unit.

Depending on the location of the source you could extract the audio at the front, and send HDMI video to the projector. Alternatively, there are adapters available to extend S/PDIF over a dedicated Ethernet cable.

No. The HDMI input on the rear Amp is inactive. Besides, the 5.1 decode is done in the front Sonos unit.

Depending on the location of the source you could extract the audio at the front, and send HDMI video to the projector. Alternatively, there are adapters available to extend S/PDIF over a dedicated Ethernet cable.

EDIT: I misread your post, get it now. Thanks!