Question

Position of Playbar upright at 5" or on its back at 3"???

• 23 November 2016
  • 4 replies

I ordered a playbar looking at the dimensions on the Sonos site and it says the height is 3" When I opened the box and set the playbar upright so it had its speakers facing forward its actually over 5" tall and wont fit beneath my TV. But then there are pictures on the product page showing the Playbar on its back. WOuldnt that make the sound all go straight up instead of forward? Is there a setting to adjust for that? Please help cant fit the playbar and TV right now unless I put it facing up

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In front of a TV it's designed to lie flat. See here.

Behind the grille the drive units are angled at 45 degrees, so it can be used in both orientations: stand- or wall-mount.

There used to be a cut-away picture on the Sonos site showing the PLAYBAR without the grille. Google 'sonos playbar' for images and you'll find some.
Badge
Lay it flat and the manual says that you want a few inches between the bar and the bottom of the tv so you get the full field of sound.

I wish it had the Sonos stamp like it does when you have the soundbar in the upright position but I am sure others would prefer not to have the label. I would just think it would be consistent and it would be more obvious to people that it is meant to also lay in the flat position. The 2 IR receivers make this a little obvious but I still want a Sonos "label"
it would be more obvious to people that it is meant to also lay in the flat position
The quick start guide deals with that.
Flat on the TV stand:
Lay the PLAYBAR horizontally and flat on its
feet. To preserve audio quality, please ensure
the connector panel faces toward the TV.
I have read many forums about how to place your playbar, upright or flat? After trying both positions I ended up putting a 1 1/2 inch thick ×4 inches wooden block under the center of the flat laying playbar. Seemed to direct the sound more towards me. You may loose some since of height but it was minimal for me. You may have to put some sort of mat underneath to keep it from slipping ( I used a placemat ) something inexpensive to try.
Good luck!