Answered

Poor sound from TV source

• 14 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi

I have a Beam with 2 Sonos One in my living room. When I use my TV as the sound source most of the sound comes from the Beam and there is low volume from the Sonos Ones. I do not get the true surround sound. When I use my Macbook Pro as the sound source then I get a true surround sound experience. I can play the same TV program from my MBP and then from my TV and I can hear a definite difference in the sound quality as I switch from one source to the other. I have tried all the audio settings I can find on the TV and YouView boxand have not been able to improve the sound. Can anyone help ?

My set up is:

Panasonic TV TX-L37G10B

BT Youview+ Freeview set top box

Beam is fed from Optical out from TV

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 15 April 2021, 14:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your Panny is likely delivering a Stereo signal to the Beam, either because the BT device is sending that, or your TV is unable to pass-through a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. Check the settings and specifications for both. The Sonos app should tell you what signal type the Beam is getting.

When using the MBP is that connecting through the TV? if so then the problem lies with the Freeview box.

Thanks for the reply, on the Sonos App it says Stereo PCM. I was thinking the Optical Output from TV was Dolby but I’m not sure. In the manual it shows that connection as the way to connect a home theatre amp. The MBP is not connecting via TV it is feeding Sonos via wifi. Freeview box audio settings are Surround. 

Userlevel 7

@johnnysmartpants Are you watching a 5.1 source from your Freeview box?

Thanks for the reply, on the Sonos App it says Stereo PCM. I was thinking the Optical Output from TV was Dolby but I’m not sure. In the manual it shows that connection as the way to connect a home theatre amp. The MBP is not connecting via TV it is feeding Sonos via wifi. Freeview box audio settings are Surround. 

The MBP is using airplay, correct?  Assuming that’s the case, then you actually aren’t getting surround sound, your rear speakers are just duplicating the stereo channels.  This is an option you can set since the rear speakers aren’t getting any surround audio to play.  With the TV as the source, this isn’t an option.

Yes the MBP is using Airplay so I undestand what you say about the rear speakers. I’m just wondering why that doesn’t apply when the TV is the source. I use the YouView box for regular TV channels, I don’t know if they broadcast 5.1 or not. I guess in my own simple way of looking at things I was expecting the Sonos system to deliver a “well rounded” sound from the TV whereas I’m getting most of the sound from the Beam in front of the TV and not a lot from the rear speakers.

Userlevel 7

From the former Sonos Community Manager:

”If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.”

It seems like you are only getting stereo content from the Freeview box either because you are limited to stereo-only content or your TV isn’t able to pass through 5.1 audio (although the TV manual says that it can). If you want a true immersive surround experience from your Beam, you need to find a 5.1 audio source.