Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
I think i am one of the biggest sonos fans out there. The system is simply genius! There is not really an alternative for sonos out there, which brings the same convenience and functionality to listening to music. Four months ago I was about to buy a complete 5.1 setup with playbar, sub and two play:3s. When I found out about the lack of DTS support this wasn't an option anymore. I have been waiting ever since for sonos to implement DTS. Knowing that they usually have a really good customer service and a lot of customer ideas have already been implemented, waiting is not a problem. But what makes me really angry is the way they treat the customers in this forum... Just being silent for several months and keeping this topic under consideration for almost a year is unbelievable. And this is the topic with one of the most me-toos and followers, which they are ignoring completely. And I'm sure there are many more out there not complaining in this threat. There has to be a decision or any information on whether this is possible at all or not. I think this might be a technical issue. However I don't understand people in the forum encouraging sonos to charge extra money for DTS support. What is wrong with you? This is not an option at all!!! Every 200$ supermarket soundbar supports DTS audio. So this is a must have feature for a 700 $ soundbar. In this price range I am not willing to pay anything extra for a standard feature. Please sonos, give us an update at least on whether this is possible to implement at all!? People are loving your products but with this behavior you are disgruntling your current and potentional customers. ... staying patient, still waiting for DTS support, keeping trust in good customer service!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
@vien- of what I understand, the DDL soundcard can only be used with a computer, you cannot hook it directly to the soundbar. so yes, if u r watching a movie from the computer connected to playbar, u would get a DD 5.1 if it has a DDL soundcard when u play a DTS audio.
My wife bought me a Sonos Play 5 for Christmas.  Love it.  So easy to set up for a non audiophile like me. Have it in the family room, really good sound.  So good I decided I wanted to move it upstairs to my bedroom and buy the Playbar, sub, and a couple of Play 3s to get full music and home theater in the Family room.  Ready to buy on day after XMAS until  I started reading about the limits of the system: lack of DTS, inability to connect all the devices (TV, Tivo, PS 3), etc.   Now I am on the sidelines waiting to see what happens.  

C'mon Sonos... That's $2000 parked on the sidelines until you give me a date when you'll have these issues addressed.   Need to know soon -- otherwise, I'll move to plan B -- somebody else's gear.   
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
sucks having to listen to my xbox one in stereo since the playbar doesn't support DTS via the Optical Cable. :(
Come on!!! give us an update at least.....
4 months ago, no Information, no Update, no DTS!
Userlevel 2
Poor show
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I can't believe this still isn't planned what with most blu rays in DTS. I didn't pay £1500 to be forced to listen to most films in stereo.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Goddammed how long do we have to wait to get DTS support for the Sonos Playbar? Sonos don't fool your customers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
another vote for DTS support for the Sonos Playbar!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Another vote for Dts support for Sonos Playbar!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
1x playbar 1x sub and 2x sonos play 1 or 3 is 5.1 surround? Come on Sonos don't fool us and get your crap together!!! All we want is Dts support for the Sonos Playbar! Make it happend and right now!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
People- please go and post on their facebook page, unless we bring this in front of public outside this forum, they wont listen
And now, what is the current state - I do hope PLANNED? Your solution sounds great, but without DTS I need to have a look for another solution from an other vendor - sorry!
And now, what is the current state - I do hope PLANNED or IMPLEMENTED!? Your solution sounds great, but without DTS I need to have a look for another solution from an other vendor - sorry!
I purchased this unit as I have several other Sonos speakers and realized that it does not support DTS and have since returned it. Its stunning that my Denon receiver from 2002 supports DTS and the Sonos playbar does not.   Please add DTS soon else, I am in the market for this but will buy another product. 
I purchased this unit as I have several other Sonos speakers and realized that it does not support DTS and have since returned it. Its stunning that my Denon receiver from 2002 supports DTS and the Sonos playbar does not.   Please add DTS soon else, I am in the market for this but will buy another product. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sonos Playbar users are really need DTS! Please Sonos all we want for christmas is DTS support for the Playbar! Listen to your customers!
i can't watch most of my movies which are in DTS only!

DTS please!
Badge
Me too please !! For such a great unit it is an obvious oversight!!! I didn't realise it didn't do DTS....why wouldn't it?  Please guys get it done!!!!!!!
This reply has been removed by Sonos: 

So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
My turn. Please add me to the list. I ordered Playbar and the Sub and cancelled the order upon learning that it does not support DTS. Very disappointing given that my Denon receiver of 12 years supports DTS.  I will be looking elsewhere unless some indication is made soon. 
Count me on needing DTS to pull trigger on a Playbar. Yes my new plasma merely passes PCM stereo thru its optical digital out, but my new Xbox1 passes DTS via its optical...but not DD, ugh. Meanwhile the plasma does pass uncompressed 5.1 via HDMI ARC...but SONOS lacks that too. With more & more TVs dropping optical outs, more & more people will be either buying soundbars with HDMI or using an Xbone to feed the audio signal. So it behooves Sonos to play nice with Xbox...meaning bring DTS processing to Playbar fast. I'm loving my pair of Play:1's & was chomping at the bit for the Playbar & Sub, but now I'm in the market for a soundbar with DTS processing.
I want DTS support as well, so please add it ASAP.  
I want DTS support as well, so please add it ASAP.