Question

Playing my iTunes Library

• 17 March 2013
  • 12 replies

Hi there Just installed a Bridge, Playbar and Play5. Having problems though accessing fully my iTunes on my iMac. Also neither my iPad nor iPhone5 can access all of my iTunes library and play music on the Playbar. Message states it cannot access iTunes on my iMac Please can you help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Badge
Hello John, In order to be able to play your iTunes library, the computer with this library must be powered on. Sonos creates an index of the music and does not copy the tracks onto memory of it's own. If the computer is asleep or off you will not be able to access the music. If the computer with your library is powered on and you are still unable to access the library we may need to re-add the it to Sonos. Before adding the library, change the name of the computer by going to the Apple icon > System Preference > Sharing > Computer name. Click on the computer name and change it to something that is 15 characters or less with no spaces or special characters. Once you've made the change you will need to restart the computer. Once your computer has restarted, launch Sonos and go to Manage > Music Library Settings > Remove the previous music share. After it has been removed click the "+" icon and select the option for "In my music folder. Sonos will then add your library once again and you should be able to access your music again.
not working...
Doesn't work. Have changed my router SSID, rebooted system and still doesn't work. Need resolution.
I also cannot play my iTunes on my ipod with the sonos????
Doesn't work. Have changed my router SSID, rebooted system and still doesn't work. Need resolution.
Hi All, After a great support call, it became apparent that I couldn't do it straight from iPhone.  I downloaded the desktop app and made a minor setting adjustment.  I use Mac OS10.9 and had to make sure my file share name was same as WINS name.  Check file share name at System Preferences>Sharing> "Computer Name" and then verify name corresponds at System Preferences>Network>Advanced Settings>WINS - make change accordingly.  All set.  
Hi All, After a great support call, it became apparent that I couldn't do it straight from iPhone.  I downloaded the desktop app and made a minor setting adjustment.  I use Mac OS10.9 and had to make sure my file share name was same as WINS name.  Check file share name at System Preferences>Sharing> "Computer Name" and then verify name corresponds at System Preferences>Network>Advanced Settings>WINS - make change accordingly.  All set.  
Thank you - This worked for me
I have checked all this and I still get 'an access to media is denied' message.  I have used the same syntax when I add the library as for my NAS music library and that works but iTunes gives me the error message.  Any ideas would be welcome.  My Mac is running OSX 10.9.3
Hi Jaymex. It may be a file sharing issue. Maybe this link will help: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2414/~/manually-sharing-music-on-os-x John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Is there a way to play directly from iTunes? I maniacally curate my iTunes library. My library highly leverages play counts, BPM, genre and comments and Smart Playlist to enable me to pull up just the right playlist for the current mood/moment. Playing through playlist imported into SONOS app does NOT update the play counts in iTunes.
@Brett, apparently if you connect the Sonos to a Airport Express via a line-in audio cable, you can stream via AirPlay, which means you can play your songs through iTunes on the Sonos speaker, and it should keep your play counts accurate.