Playbase with 2 Play 1's?

• 27 November 2017
  • 2 replies

I currently have a Playbase and am thinking of picking up 2 Play:1s while they're on sale this week. I was thinking of placing them to the left and right of the Playbase/TV. My room configuration doesn't really lend to placing them in rear locations (I don't want to mount and don't want stands). Is there any real benefit to my system if I can only locate them to the left and right of the TV? Do you think it's worth the extra cost? I'm happy with the Playbase as is, but if there is a strong difference w/ adding two additional speakers, I would consider it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I wouldn't do it if I were you. You will certainly get more room filling sound, but your home theater experience will be much worse. Sounds that are intended to be behind you will now be in front of you. Sounds that are intended to be in front of you will be distorted by sounds that are coming out of speakers intended to be behind you. I don't think there is much benefit here. If anything, pick up the sub. Good luck!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I wouldn't do it if I were you. You will certainly get more room filling sound, but your home theater experience will be much worse. Sounds that are intended to be behind you will now be in front of you. Sounds that are intended to be in front of you will be distorted by sounds that are coming out of speakers intended to be behind you. I don't think there is much benefit here. If anything, pick up the sub. Good luck!

It sounds like their setup wouldn’t be to pair them as surrounds but rather an additional stereo pair. Regardless, OP, don’t think it would be a worthwhile investment. The Playbase is acting as your left/center/right and I think would drown out its functionality by adding Play:1s to the front.

Additionally, you’d likely notice a lip sync issue with the Play:1s if they’re grouped with your Playbase. They wouldn’t be paired as surrounds which alleviates that lip sync delay. There’s a 70ms delay with other grouped speakers to a Playbase/Playbar. That problem is alleviated when they’re used as surrounds but as noted before, if you were to pair them as surrounds but use them in front of you, the sounds would be wonky.