Answered

PLAYBASE No Sound, When switching TV inputs

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I recently upgraded from a Sony x850D to a Sony x900E TV. I had the PLAYBASE connected to the TV via Optical and all sources connected to the TV via HDMI, My previous TV passed through 5.1 through all sources no problem, only issue was the occasional no sound when switching channels on the cable box but easily fixed by switching channel back and forth.

However now with this newer Sony TV i've connected everything up the same and same settings within the TV (settings are identical to the last TV) I'm getting 5.1 passing through no problem on all sources but when switching to Cable TV then back to the internal Netflix App or from apple tv to netflix for example there is no sound when playing any movie or tv I have to actually completely restart the TV a simple on an off won't work to bring back sound. I am aware of the issue for some where DD plus with netflix content won't play but ive been testing this issue with videos that do play in 5.1 but then still experience this issue when switching back and forth from inputs.

I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the playbase as well but issue still persists again. At this point is it best to try resetting everything back to factory settings and start over fresh? maybe some initialization needs to be done again because of the new tv This is extremely frustrating since I figured switching from one Sony TV to another would have no issues since everything worked flawless on the last TV. Anyone have any suggestions. I'm also going to try replacing the optical cable in case something is wrong there from disconnecting and re-connecting. I also confirmed that this TV does passthrough 5.1 no problem RTINGS.com also confirmed this in their testing as well. I'm also using a Harmony Companion remote as well if this matters.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 May 2017, 00:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

I suspect that the issue is with the TV, not with the Sonos Playbase, since it worked fine with the older TV. However, you could check to see in the Settings > About my Sonos System area of the app when it's not playing any sound if the Playbase thinks it's getting any sound. There would be a line on it that says Audio In: and have something after it. Right now, since I'm not watching TV, mine says No Signal, but if the TV was on, it would say either Dolby Digital or PCM/Stereo, depending on what channel/source I was playing.

But I'm suspecting that the TV isn't generating a signal across the optical cable at that point. There's not much in the Sonos to go wrong (although it can happen). I've got a similar issue on my bedroom Vizio, where sometimes I have to switch between a HD and SD channel to get the TV to start outputting an appropriate signal. Doesn't happen often, but it's not the Sonos that's the problem, it's the TV (or perhaps the DirecTV? Not sure, never tracked it down).
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
What's weird is it works intermittently but seems to be isolated to only when I'm watching bell cable box then switch to another input but what's weird is if I switch to Apple TV the sound is fine but when I switch to Netflix internal app on tv I have no sound so it's a weird combination of something throwing off the signal suspect it's the cable signal. I think the tv is fine and it's brand new and settings are correct so may just be a weird thing with this's particular model. On audio in it says "silence" when this occurs
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I'm going to trying resetting both the tv and sonos to factory settings and replace the cable just to weed out any other issues.
Yea, in my case, I think it's the "initialization of the stream" process in either my DirecTV box, or the TV. And oddly, it doesn't seem to happen on my newer other Vizio, with the same stations, which leads me to think it's the TV, and not DirecTV, but I haven't tested.

The other thing you should do is make sure you've got the latest firmware on the Sony. Way back in the day, I had some issues with a Sony which were rectified by updating that, and it's always safe to double check.

Best of luck!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for your help I did download the latest Sony 7.0 software, are you saying you think the tv is defective or it's just a compatibility issue?
I'd be loathe to use the word "defective". There's a few of things that I think are an issue.

1) and most importantly for your case, I think that there's a lot of data to initialize in the optical stream for a TV set, especially with the extended surround sound data set, and I think that sometimes the operation fails, so that even though you've got something showing on the screen, there's nothing coming out of the optical connection on the back. I think this often is a firmware issue, so making sure that you're up to date on the firmware is advisable. I think this is what happens on my second Vizio, although it's up to date, since I check periodically for updates.

2) I think that some of the manufacturers of TVs insert additional data in to the Optical Out so that they can do something special with their own brand of sound bars. Now that's a complete supposition on my part, but I had to say it. 🙂

3) I don't think that Sonos' Dolby Digital Interpreter software is as compliant with errors as it could be, so if it gets some "garbage" data, it fails, rather than continues to look for "correct" data.

Am I an engineer? Nope, you should take this all as complete fabrication on my part, but my hypothesis does seem to fit the behaviour appropriately. And certainly nothing I've suggested as ways to mitigate or fix the issue will do any harm. So, take it as more of a "huh, that Bruce guy sure is an odd one" rather than gospel, and hope that you can fix the issue you're experiencing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks Bruce this has been helpful to think through the issue. I'll try a few things out and hopefully it works out. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I think I may have figured this out after some testing and setting review on my Sony x900E running android 7.0. I had no issues for a while but then the issue started occurring again after switching to Apple TV then back to Netflix app on the TV I would have no sound on the Netflix content. I went back into my Sound Settings for the TV and because the Apple TV is connected to HDMI 1 which also can be used as an alternate audio source maybe for a receiver there were two options and it was set to Auto, changing this to the 2nd setting "HDMI 1" seems to have fixed the issue for now, and I noticed that audio to kick in is faster when playing something on Apple TV, I suspect that maybe some processing here to detect the signal on apple tv may have been messing with things. However switching from Cable TV still is causing issues I have to stop and play the Netflix video several times before sound kicks back in. So seems it really is an issue with this latest Sony firmware on this TV perhaps its android 7.0, because my last tv was running 6.0 and no issues. Oh well looks like I'll have to live with this issue for now until another software update from Sony
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Just starting testing again and now going from one Netflix movie to another is not working, no sound, this is really frustrating now can't figure it out, may have to go back to using PCM and not DD output from TV
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Looks like I've isolated the issue to the tv outPutting Dolby digital 5.1 or a signal from something is locking up the sonos. Because I've now changed it to back to output only pcm and seems to have eliminated the issue. That's too bad though since the older sony tv handled dd5.1 with no problem. Hopefully this can be solved in a sony software update but who knows when that will happens sonos users be aware of this issue with new Sony tv on android 7.0

Just to add what makes the issue stranger is out of the box the TV had no issues for for two days and then only as of recently this issue started happening and I did not change any settings hopefully someone from Sonos could offer some advice here. Or is this completely has a sony issue, I'm not sure because I feel like the Sonos is having issues processing some signals from this tv or like you said Sony may be adding something I've turned off all additional sound processing settings and settings related to recolonizing Bravia sync speakers just to be sure. Extremely frustrating since I'm really happy with the picture of this new tv.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Update: Spoke with Sony support and explained issue they suggest doing a factory reset, will see if this resolves the issue.
It does indeed sound frustrating. I wish you the best of luck!

Some people have ended up with an external switch to fix similar problems, i.e. taking the 5.1 signal out of the TV's hands completely. Something along the lines as this:

https://www.flexson.com/flexson-3-input-hdmi-switch-audio-converter-for-sonos-playbar

Please note, this is not the only one on the market, and I have not tried it myself, since it's not necessary for me. But that kind of device allows you to plug in all your HDMI inputs into it, and get the audio out from that, and then the picture goes to the TV, without relying on the TV to "interpret" the signal for you. There's others in this forum that use one that starts with an O, Omni-something, maybe? and have reported great success with it. if it was me, and I couldn't get my TV to do the right thing 90% of the time, it's the route I'd go. Certainly cheaper than a new TV.
By the way, the reason I'm semi-familiar with the Flexson one is because I use their speaker stands, which are incredibly well designed and constructed. That being said, I'm pretty sure that this device is just something rebranded (although I could be wrong). But my impression of the Flexson folks is similar to my impression of the Sonos folks, pretty high, so I don't think they'd sell you something that doesn't work.

Again, it's just an example, there are lots of others. Search Amazon, for instance 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for the suggestion I was considering something like this as well. If I can't get it to work this will be plan B. Do you know if the flexon works with harmony remotes/hub?
Not off hand, but I'd be terribly surprised if it didn't. The Harmony system is pretty darn robust. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
another quick question? In order to get the TV's internal netflix and apps to output through the switch then route to the sonos, would I connect the switch to my TV with one HDMI to the ARC port and enable that?
Gah.... now you're really getting out of my comfort zone. :)

I believe that's correct, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I can come along and confirm. There's a pretty great community of damn smart people on these boards.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Well looks like after a factory reset of my TV has solved the issue. Crossing my fingers but tested switching inputs and DD 5.1 is passing through and no sound cutouts for some time now. Thanks for your help and support on this one.
That's outstanding. It's been a pleasure to converse, and I hope the issue never returns.
Badge
I've not been able to output 5.1 from my Sony X900E at all. I have a simple optical out setup, which was working perfectly with my former LG TV. Now with the Sony, I only get stereo audio. I've done a factory reset and have the latest software. Sony advises me to call Sonos, and Sonos advises me to call Sony!

I realize YouTube is not 5.1 and have been selecting Netflix movies via the Sony TV App. The Sony technicians have been through all my settings via their remote assistance.

I'm at a stalemate!

Any suggestions?
Perhaps open up a dialog with the OP in this thread?

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/the-sony-xbr-x900e-passes-through-beautiful-dd-5-1-6802677

S/He seems to have particular knowledge about that specific TV.