Playbar volume control issues with new sony xbr75z900f tv and comcast x1

• 29 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
Here is my setup. Playbar optically connected to XBR75X900F and controlled with comcast x1 hdmi to TV.

I'm having issues controlling the volume of the playbar.

I have the TV speakers turned off and the sound comes out fine through the playbar.

My issue is that even though the TV speakers are turned off, when i press the remote volume up/down, there are numbers that show on the TV screen indicating the volume number and sound increases/decreases on the playbar. THis part is fine.

If i hold the volume up for maybe 1 second from sound completely off, the TV volume indicator might show volume 5 but the playbar will be very loud.

If I tap the volume down button very quick, i am able to get the playbar to slightly decrease volume and also get the TV volume indicator on the screen to decrease.

However, i can get the tv volume indicator to ZERO and there is still some sound coming out of the playbar.

So it appears that pressing the remote volume up/down gets recognized by the playbar directly.

Is there anyway to have the playbar volume be controlled by the TV and not by receiving the volume up/down commands directly from the remote control??

i want the playbar volume to be somewhat in sync with the TV volume indicator.

It is very annoying that the playbar is on when the TV says ZERO volume or the playbar is low volume and TV says high volume or visa-versa.

I hope this make sense and I appreciate the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

On that Sony, there should be a setting in the Audio area that allows you to turn off the internal speakers, , and have it play only on the Sonos speakers.

While not your exact model (it's a D, not an F), I found this page that might be useful:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-75x850d/articles/00007061

I'd recommend that when they say "Fixed or Variable" you choose the option that is "Fixed".
Here's the home page for your TV, with links to all the manuals, etc:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-75x850f#manuals
Badge
Thank for the reply and links. I do not have fixed/variable as an option.

I did read the megathread and it looks like the only way to disable the tv from showing the volume numbers on the screen is to reprogram the sonos and the remote to a different TV type that the tv will not recognize or to put a headphone jack into the headphone jack of the tv (not sure i have one.

We are so used to watching tv at certain volumes and that is not available anymore with the playbar.

This is hard to get used to.

I hope the mute still works if i have to reprogram the remotes and sonos.

This fix also makes my sony remote now unusable for volume.
Most Sony remotes are also programmable for things like mute and volume, due to many people who have setups like yours.

I ended up going with a Harmony remote, just to make my life much easier, but your mileage may vary.