Playbar refresh in 2018?

• 23 January 2018
  • 70 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Is Sonos planning a Playbar refresh in 2018? It'd be great to have a Playbar with updated look matching other Sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, User578725. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I do not have any information to share on a PLAYBAR refresh however, I am happy to forward your interest along to the team. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks! The only thing stopping me from buying and recommending the current Playbar is it's outdated look. It needs an updated look urgently to match the other, very well designed Sonos speakers! Adding Bluetooth would fill a huge feature gap BT is handy in many scenarios and can stream audio from all the sources Sonos currently can't, such as Mac/Windows/iOS audio.
Yes, a new playbar please with HDMI in and outputs! And Amazon Echo/Alexa support.
Can you please update the playbar! It looks outdated
I'm trying to refresh my home audio system, and am tossing up between the Bose and Sonos multi-room systems. Bose's soundbar beats the current Playbar -- A update to the Playbar would put Sonos over the top!
SONOS - I echo the sentiments above.....A White Playbar with Alexa gets my vote!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Can you please update the playbar! It looks outdatedAnd there I was thinking it looked "classic" and understated!! In fact I do not really want to look at a soundbar at all the more invisible the better.

If they are going to update the PlayBar and/or PlayBase then DTS and HDMI would be much higher on my wish list.
White Sound bar with new look, Alexa support and touch buttons like One, HDMI 2.1 inputs and single output for my 4K TV, and you can take my money.
Badge
I have a Bose sound bar set up right now. I’d love to ditch it for an updated Sonos Playbar with Alexa and multiple HDMI inputs. Also, plans for a 7.1 system would be nice too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi there, User578725. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I do not have any information to share on a PLAYBAR refresh however, I am happy to forward your interest along to the team. Thanks!

how about 7.1 support

how about 7.1 support

I would imagine if they don't have any information in general about a Playbar refresh, then they don't have any information in specific like 7.1 support
That would require at least a port refresh, 7.1 can't be (to my knowledge) carried across an optical cable. And there may be licensing issues depending on which 7.1 system they would incorporate.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Something that sonos should consider when updating a product like the playbar.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
That would require at least a port refresh, 7.1 can't be (to my knowledge) carried across an optical cable. And there may be licensing issues depending on which 7.1 system they would incorporate.

correct, toslink cannot carry 7.1, maximum is 5.1 with lossy dolby digital encoding
However, with yesterday's "more info" around AirPlay 2 compatibility, I think it increases the chance of a new PLAYBAR by 5 or 10%. We'll see.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
My guess is you will see a new three before a new Playbar
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Well there have been big discounts on both the 3 and the playbar recently. 50% off on the playbar at Targets. And the 3 was the same price as the Sonos one on Amazon in January. So they both might be updated soon. But Sonos will announce something new for this year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So what do we have here then???? Could it be ?

https://fccid.io/SBVRM014
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Whatever it is it’s voice enabled judging by the label
Most interesting. Thanks for posting that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hmm, HDMI mentioned in the test report.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
HDMI 2.1 could mean Atmos and possibly 7.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And given it has play controls and voice it is presumably a speaker rather than the ‘super connect’ some have been asking (myself included)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/30/sonos-fcc-filing-smart-home-theater-speaker/
HDMI 2.1 could mean Atmos and possibly 7.1
Atmos, wireless transferred – seriously?