Playbar plus single Play:5 in the same room. And also understanding DTS from TV to Playbar.

• 11 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Hi guys.

Apologies if these questions have been discussed before.
I bit the bullet and ordered a Playbar which is arriving tomorrow hopefully. This will be set up in my living room, but as I already have a Play:5 there which I have been using for TV audio and music, would there be any issues sound wise with grouping them together in the same room for both TV audio and music?
I will eventually purchase the Sub and use either Play:1 or 3's which I already have in other rooms for 5.1, so the Play:5 will be moved then. Just wanting the best set up with what I will have when the bar arrives.

The other question is, my Samsung TV is only 1 year old and I have looked into the spec regarding Dolby and such likes. It states it has Dolby Digital Plus and also DTS Codec.
Is this the correct requirements for the Playbar and the 5.1 when I eventually get it all to run smoothly?
I'm not really clued up on the DTS thing and noticed there seems to be some issues with it but reading into it I'm just getting confused....please try keep it simple ha!

Thanks guys, any feedback and info is muchly appreciated!

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The playbar will only decode if the TV sends normal Dolby Digital from its Toslink. It will not decode DTS or DD+

You can group the Play:5 with the Playbar in same room - but as you said play:1 or Play:3 pair as surrounds is better option (and set to full mode and they will play in stereo instead of surrounds when listening to Sonos music).
Hi Chris thanks for the reply.
I'm fairly tech savvy, but this DTS DD+ stuff is all new to me so struggling a bit to understand it all.
So just to clarify, as my model of tv states it is DTS DD+ this means it's pointless getting the playbar as it basically won't play sound through my tv? I'm a fairly heavy movie watcher so this is a disappointment if thats the case. Is there a straightforward work around for this that you know of?

I only have 1x play 1 in my kitchen and 1x play 3 in my hallway, so would need to purchase another 1 of either to set that up as suround with the bar but that's a bit further down the line along with the sub...i get that bit.

Just wondering if I should just send the playbar back if its not going to work and get another play 5 and just set that up as a stereo pair in my living room connected to my tv?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos do not support DTS. So if you send DTS audio to it, you will get nothing out of playbar at all.
DTS is currently mainly on Blu-ray, DVD's. Some Samsung UHD dis players will decode DTS on the fly to DD 5.1
So live tv,SKyQ, and streaming from Netflix will be ok.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your tv may send regular did too. Have you checked. Otherwise only workaround would be direct from source or optical switch
Ok thanks again guys for the replies.
So i have attached a screen shot below of the audio spec of my tv, not sure if thats enough information?
How can i check if it sends regular too?

The Playbar is arriving today and i really dont want to have to send it back but if it's not compatable then needs must.

So i run a BT Youview box and also a Fire TV 4K box through the TV, mostly use the Fire TV for streaming movies in HD and 4K through a third party app. Will this work do you think?

I have read up a little about the optical switch and it seems this could save the day but its more cost on top of an already pricey system...do they work and will it work with my set up?

Sorry to bombard with all these questions but i just want to get it right.

Thanks guys.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You want is the tv to pass DD5.1 down the optical lead to playbar. Some TV's do & some don't.
When you get it all going, you can look in the sonos app to see if DD5.1 or stereo comes up in the sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
you can look in the sonos app to see if DD5.1 or stereo comes up in the sonos app.

Just out of curiosity, how can you check in the sonos app if it is 5.1 or stereo? The only way for me to find out is to check the settings of my TV to see if it is transmitting Dolby 5.1 or PCM stereo. In which case, depending on what im watching automatically switches between the two.
Go in to "About My Sonos" in settings, and look for the information on the PLAYBAR. It should tell you what kind of signal it's receiving...well, of the ones it can interpret. Dolby Digital or Stereo, basically.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Go in to "About My Sonos" in settings, and look for the information on the PLAYBAR. It should tell you what kind of signal it's receiving...well, of the ones it can interpret. Dolby Digital or Stereo, basically.

Thanks Bruce, I see it 🙂