Question

Playbar Optical to Bluetooth

• 24 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I’m not really great with technology and would want to confirm something regarding using a bluetooth receiver that’s connected to my Sonos Playbar.

Problem: I want to allow certain music/videos from my phone/laptop to play on my Sonos speakers using bluetooth.

I have a Playbar, Sub and Beam in my living room which are all grouped together. Am I able to purchase a bluetooth receiver (something like this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Lossless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Optical-Coaxial/dp/B01G5AMGR8) and connect it to my Playbar using optical to optical?

I can easily have the bluetooth receiver plugged 24/7 beside the Playbar so that it’s always available. The bluetooth source (phone or laptop) will always be close (within 10 feet) to the bluetooth receiver.

Some of the discussions in the community sort of relate to this but they are either old or not exactly what I was looking for. I’m just wanting to be 100% sure before I purchase anything. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would think that it would work, but I would want to put a switch in between the two inputs to the PLAYBAR, assuming your also using it with a TV. Unfortunately, the optical connector spec is plastic, and pulling it out and reseating it repeatedly would concern me.

I’d also be somewhat concerned about potential latency on the Bluetooth signal with lipsync on the laptop, but I don’t have any real knowledge there. 

And if you do have the PLAYBAR connected to your TV as well, I’d really be looking at either a Port, or a PLAY:5 to connect that Bluetooth receiver to. You could then share it with any of the Sonos rooms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A switch would be my suggestion too but if you must use cables pigtails and one of these would protect your expensive hardware.

https://smile.amazon.com/TosLink-Optical-Coupler-Digital-Extension/dp/B00K7EIMS6/ref=sr_1_13