Question

Playbar - multiple devices

• 26 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Totally new to all this and would like a little help with my playbar.

I would like use my playbar with the TV, Blu-ray, games console and Sky box (soon to be Sky Q) and want to know how best to rig it all up.

Should I buy an optical switcher to run everything to the Playbar or if I plug the optical into the TVm what ever the TV is playing will come out of the Playbar?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

A modified yes. You can do either an HDMI switch with an optical out to connect to the PLAYBAR, or you can connect the PLAYBAR directly to your TV, and connect all your devices to the TV using HDMI.

In either case, you need to set all devices to be sending out a Dolby Digital signal. So each device, if it has an audio settings section, needs to be looked at to be sure it's set properly.
So will an Optical switcher do the job? Playbar into that and then all other devices in? From a sound perspective is optical the best?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The only reasons for getting an optical switch are:-

- Your TV doesn't pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 - Some will output stereo via the optical out even when they receive DD5.1 (My Samsung does this)
- You don't have enough HDMI inputs in your TV. But in this case you'd need an HDMI video/audio splitter.

As for "is optical best". The Playbar ONLY accepts an optical in and an optical switch is cheaper and easier than an HDMI splitter.
Thanks very much. It's an older TV, so I will go with the optical switcher. Have found a CYP for a great price, so will get that.

The only reasons for getting an optical switch are:-

- Your TV doesn't pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 - Some will output stereo via the optical out even when they receive DD5.1 (My Samsung does this)
- You don't have enough HDMI inputs in your TV. But in this case you'd need an HDMI video/audio splitter.

As for "is optical best". The Playbar ONLY accepts an optical in and an optical switch is cheaper and easier than an HDMI splitter.