Playbar it is...

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi forum members!

I am going to buy the playbar tomorrow. I am not sure will I place it on a shelf below the TV or on its thiner edge on the top of the shelf, where currently sits my qacoustics M4. See photo (smartphone, croped, not sure the QM4 is visible 🙂
The sitting position is 5,5 metres away.

Honestly, I am a bit worried:
-i haven't tried the playbar in my room, so I don't know how it will sound. However, My two play 3 do very well.
-i aspect slight degradation in sound compared to the QM4. The qacoustics, wherever is placed, projects the dialogue right in front of the TV. I am not sure the Playbar will be able to do that, (angle of speakers when in different positions)

However, Sonos won me over with it's simplicity. I want to add more components. Playbar was in my sight a long time ago. After all, I'd could be surprised :-)

I would love to hear what you think.

Neven

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I think you'll be very happy with the playbar. Are you planning on using the play:3s as surround sound or will they be used in another room?

As far as placement goes, how far off the ground is the TV? I personally like the playbar to be around 1,5 meters off the ground, so I'd place the playbar above or below depending on which is closer to that mark. Regardless, if you have an iPhone, the Trueplay tuning will make a difference.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I think you'll be very happy with the playbar.
I hope.
Are you planning on using the play:3s as surround sound or will they be used in another room?

my white play 3 is in a room named white and black play3 in a room named black. But they are, in fact,in the same room and they are grouped together. Is this the correct way? Same goes for the playbar. I would like to be able to listen to all three speakers in group. But also to play Tv sound only on bar, and music on my ay 3’s. I do not plan to listen to the P3’s as surround, but I will try it to see how does it sound.

As far as placement goes, how far off the ground is the TV? [/quote]

It is at about 75 cm height. So the bar in flat orientation would be at 55-60 cm height, and if on top of the shelf I would put it on its edge so It would fire 45 degrees down. I personally like the playbar to be around 1,5 meters off the ground, so I'd place the playbar above or below depending on which is closer to that mark. Regardless, if you have an iPhone, the Trueplay tuning will make a difference.[/quote]
I do have the iphone and plan to trueplay the system. Btw, what settings do I have to make to my sony bravia for it to output the correct audio?
Thank you
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Once you bond the Play:3s as surround speakers and then watch Saving Private Ryan again, you'll never want to unbond them for movies/TV!
On the setup of your Play:3s...you could set them up as a stereo pair, since they are in the same room. This would mean they would always play together, and depending on where they are placed, would sound better overall in the room. Nothing wrong at all without how you are using them right now, just another option.

If you setup your play:3s as surround sound, you have the option of setting them to play full stereo when playing a music source, surround speakers when the source is the TV. I personally really like this setup. Again, you would be playing all these together at the same time as one room always. Another option to try.

As far as settings on the Bravia, this thread has good recommendations.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Once you bond the Play:3s as surround speakers and then watch Saving Private Ryan again, you'll never want to unbond them for movies/TV!
Yes, but i do not have the sub.
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Neven

You don't need the sub. I have a Playbase with 2 Play:1s, and no sub. Sounds great!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
On the setup of your Play:3s...you could set them up as a stereo pair, since they are in the same room. This would mean they would always play together, and depending on where they are placed, would sound better overall in the room. Nothing wrong at all without how you are using them right now, just another option.
I have tried too make a stereo pair, it is easy and sounds good but the are too far appart.

If you setup your play:3s as surround sound, you have the option of setting them to play full stereo when playing a music source, surround speakers when the source is the TV. I personally really like this setup. Again, you would be playing all these together at the same time as one room always. Another option to try.
Currently the p3’s are at the same end of the room, and the playbar will be in the center. I llan to move one play 3 hehind my sitting position, so it emits the sound from tv. Is it possible?

As far as settings on the Bravia, this thread has good recommendations.
Tnx
Neven
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Neven

You don't need the sub. I have a Playbase with 2 Play:1s, and no sub. Sounds great!

But, I am going for the Playbar. Will it be much different? I read that Playbar throws the sound further in to the room, and that's what I liked. Plus, the Playbase does not fit on my shelf, it is too deep,
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
But, I am going for the Playbar. Will it be much different? I read that Playbar throws the sound further in to the room, and that's what I liked. Plus, the Playbase does not fit on my shelf, it is too deep,
Neven

I haven't had the chance to listen to the playbar and playbase side by side, but from what I recall reading, reviews and on this forum, is that there is very little difference in sound quality, and only a small amount more bass in the Playbase. Also, the playbase has newer hardware in it, so it was able to get the Airplay 2 feature in the 9.0 update and who knows what else in the future.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It is over. playbar bought! it is in a box, only checked how it looked., and is the package complete. It is perfect. Now the craziest part. It will be waiting for about a month. I have my reasons to wait, one beiing I don’t want to upset my wife too early ( still rembemrting my last purchase: play 3.
I know it may sound silly, but it is a bit of a bitter sweet thing. Waiting the rihht moment to start enjoying it.
Neven