Answered

Playbar ethernet connections

• 1 February 2018
  • 6 replies

I have a playbar, sub and two Play:1 all connected wireless to my home network. (so nothing wired)
Can i use one of the ethernet connectors at the back of the playbar to connect my smart-tv to my home network?
icon

Best answer by Chris 1 February 2018, 13:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No - for the port on the back of the playbar to be an active internet connection you need to have one sonos unit hooked to Ethernet. If you were able to hook a bridge/boost to your router or if any of your other speakers are close enough to connect to router then that port will activate.
Also, SonosNet is built for reliable music transmission, not speed. I am not at all sure it would be great at HD video, but you could try it and see, following Chris' advice
Whenever I've measured it, a single SonosNet hop maxes out at 12-13Mbps. Not great, but sufficient for HD video so long as the wireless connection remains decent.

But I have to ask: does the Smart TV not have a built in WiFi card? My Samsung is connected directly to the router's 5GHz channel.
Thanks for all answers. My Sony Smart TV does not have a build in WiFi adapter. You'll need a Sony wireless USB adapter (expensive!!) to connect to the WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Three great answers giving you all the details. Feel free to mark the one you think is the best of them 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think what Ryan meant to say "Please mark Chris' answer as the correct one"