Question

Play1s surround speakers not working when used with TV but playbar and Sub are playing fine

• 18 December 2017
  • 7 replies

I have 5.1 sonos system connected to my TV (Sony Z9D) and while playing 5.1 content from netflix or youtube etc. the Play1s are not working. When I play music from sonos app both the play1s work fine along with bar & sub. Only noticing this issue when I play from TV. I connected my TV to playbar with optical cable. And my TV sound is set to external speakers aswell. ANy help on home this can be resolved? I would want my play1s when I watch content on netflix or youtube from my TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Just to be clear, when you're playing music on your PLAYBAR room, you are getting sound from the surrounds, but when you're playing TV content (like YouTube, I guess), you're not hearing anything from them?

There's a couple of things I'd recommend you check. First, while you're playing a YouTube video on your TV, open the controller app on whatever device you have it. Go to Settings, and then choose "About My Sonos System". Look in the list for your PLAYBAR, and see what it says next to "Line-In". If it's Dolby Digital 5.1, move on to the next paragraph, if it's not, we need to figure out why the TV isn't sending a 5.1 signal to the PLAYBAR. It could be the audio settings on the TV, it could be the audio settings on whatever device is that you're using to play YouTube.

If it does say 5.1, then go back in to Settings>Room Settings> (name of room with PLAYBAR)>Advanced Audio>Surround Settings and play with the volume for TV Level. The settings for Music settings, since you say you hear them when playing music, probably don't need to be changed. However, I do often recommend people change 'Music Playback" to Full, rather than ambient, so that the surround speakers act as stereo speakers when playing music. You may have already done this, I'm guessing.

Let us know if this helps, or if you're continuing to have issues.
Hello, I'm having the same issue but my audio in is saying "stereo". Not sure how to change it. I have a sony bravia TV
So, there's several places to look at to fix that "stereo" issue. The first, of course, is the TV's audio settings. Go in to the Sony settings for audio, and make sure that it is set up to deal with Dolby Digital. Often times, that setting is a PCM/Stereo, and it needs to be changed.

But the same applies to any and all devices that are connected to the TV. Cable boxes, Satellite boxes, DVD players, etc, all have their own audio settings that need to be checked, to make sure that they are sending the correct signal across the HDMI cable to the Television. You can have your TV set to Dolby Digital (pass through), but it won't take a stereo signal it is getting and convert it.
Thanks Bruce, how did I check the cable box to see if it is sending DD to the tv?
Depends on the cable box, I'm afraid. Did the cable company provide a manual? Is there a "settings" on the screen when you show the cable menu? Unfortunately, I use DirecTV, so I'm not terribly familiar with the various cable boxes out there.
No manual, it's Cox cable... I'll call them and make sure it's not the box.

Thanks
I'm sure they can give you directions on how to check the settings on you box. Best of luck!