play 1s, 3s or 5s for rear surround speakers?

Hi Guys

Im new to Sonos and have been very happt with my pair of Sonos one for my bedroom.

Im setting up 5.1 surround sound for my living room, the size W x L x H (in feet) 23.5 x 22 x 9.
I will buy a soundbar and a sub for this.

But for rear speakers, which one should I buy? 1s, 3s or 5s?

The problem is I cant have them a try since I live in small city in Indonesia, no Authorize Dealer for Sonos just yet.

Appreciate your help

Regards
Jimmy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Forget the play 3 (there old and will not support new features)

5.1 setup with Play one is more then loud enough for my 22x15 feet appartment.....but then again.....it’s an appartment so i cannot put the volume to the max 😉. Play 5 will sound better and louder.......but are much more expensive.

Just dont buy the surrounds yet and try a couple of days with the one’s from the bedroom tot test.
Thanks for your response.
Might try the ones before getting the other Sonos. It might be loud enough
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would disagree, if you have a really large living room, and you listen to music a lot. The play 3 as the surround would do a better job. As long as you set them to be full for music uses. If you are into music, I would consider the larger speaker options over the sonos one. The pair of play3 or play5 really sounds better then the sonos one in larger spaces. I have sonos ones paired and play3 paired. In my 9mx5.5m living room, the play3 does a much better job then the sonos ones. When you add them to a playbase. The play3 setup sounds better then the sonos ones setup. The play3 fill the room better with sound then 2 ones. If you plan to party with them the play3 or play 5 setup is much better then the sonos one setup.

While the play3 might not support new features like airplay2. If you set them up as 5.1 the playbase will unit that will give that group the new ability.

Now if you are looking at a playbar. And want the newer features. Then you will need to go with sonos ones or play5.

But I would wait until after june 6 to see what sonos is planning before picking between a playbase or playbar and the surround speaker. They have a conference planned.
thanks for the response.
I guess i might wait, june the 6th is just around the corner 😳