Answered

Placing Sonos Amp in another room

• 4 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi guys,

This is my first topic here, I hope I can get some help and maybe also help others. I already own a sonos Beam which I really enjoy, I’m in process to build a house and I’m planning to get the sonos Amp and in ceiling speakers to pair with my Beam as surrounds. My question is, can I place the Sonos Amp inside of a Rack cabinet in another room and connect both Amp and Beam to my local network by Ethernet cable? Would this work, or do I have to place the Amp near the Beam?

Thank you all in advance.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 August 2021, 10:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pedrodanny 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That will work without issue - the Amp and Beam try to connect over dedicated 5GHz links, but if they are too far apart from each other then an ethernet connection for each device to the router (or switch) will suffice.

When you get the Amp, set it up as a separate room first, then set it up as surrounds for the Beam.

I hope this helps.

I think you’ll find that a wired connection is always preferred over wireless. Lower path cost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ratty 

True - I didn’t say otherwise. I was speaking more from a non-expert-user’s perspective that avoids unnecessary cabling.

I’ll get me coat. :wink: