Answered

Panasonic Viera Plasma - Volume Control Delay

• 2 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi,

Playbar hardwired to network, optical in from TV, wireless for sub and 2 x Play:One.

For a few months now the TV remote has taken 3-5 seconds for a volume adjustment to register via the Playbar - including the LED acknowledgment of the IR signal. I need to hold the volume button down on the remote for that long to action an adjustment.

All other TV remote functions are processed immediately, so it doesn’t appear to be a problem with the remote itself (I’ve already tried new batteries etc).

This wasn’t an issue for the first few years of ownership (TV hasn’t changed), so on the face of it seems to be a software update issue within Sonos?

I’ve tried a full factory reset of all components and setup the remote again, but no difference.

Diagnostics uploaded - 529557269.

Cheers
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 4 April 2019, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi CBE, I've seen Plasma TVs cause interference on the IR receiver. Can you try something out? Turn the TV off, and then play some music and use the IR remote to adjust the volume. Does it seem delayed in the same way as when the TV is on?

If it looks like the TV is causing it, some masking or painters tape over the IR sensor will give a bit of a filter that may help against the Plasma.
Userlevel 7
Hi CBE, I've seen Plasma TVs cause interference on the IR receiver.

That's a very interesting point. In all of my long, very long years I'd never heard that before. You learn something new everyday. I'll have to keep an eye on that one as I have two plasma's. :)

One point I might add is that on a remote the volume and channel keys are used the most. As CBE says the remote and TV have been around a few years. That said the contacts on the remote could be exhausted. Maybe not the case but I've also seen remotes that have been sat upon and the buttons no longer work properly and/or there's always the peanut butter/jelly caked button.:8

@CBE
If Ryan's solution doesn't work you might pick up a cheap universal remote to see if things go back to normal. If so then you know it's the remote that is faulty. Good luck to resolve your issue.

Cheers!
Hi,

Thanks both for your replies, and @AjTrek1, the thought of the volume contacts being worn did occur to me so will look into that as well.

@Ryan S - which IR sensor should I be covering with tape? The one on the TV, the one on the front of the Playbar, or the repeater on the back of the Playbar?

Cheers,

CBE
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi CBE, It's the Playbar's IR sensor that you want to cover if indeed it's the TV's interference causing issues.

This shows the two sensors, when horizontal, the sensor at the bottom of the unit is active, when mounted on the wall, it's the sensor on the top that's active.

You can test if that's the issue by having the TV off and try to change the volume first though, that way you know if it's what to be looking at, before going and trying to tape a sensor.
Thanks for clarifying Ryan S.

As it turned out, having disassembled my remote as per @AjTrek1, the contacts were in a right state. Cleaning them up improved things slightly, but response was still intermittent.

I ordered a replacement remote which arrived last night and everything is now working as it should - so no Sonos issue, purely down to a worn out remote.

Appreciate the assistance.
Userlevel 7
Glad you got your issue resolved. Darn remote ?

Cheers!