Answered

Panasonic TX-L and Beam

• 29 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi I’m just about to buy a Sonos Beam but I’m concerned that my TV won’t pass DD through the ARC hdmi port. Does any body know if it will or not the model number of my tv is Panasonic TX-L50B6B. Thanks
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 October 2018, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Based on the user guide, p. 17, I'd say yes it will pass through just fine.

SPDIF: A standard audio transfer file format
Selects the initial setting for digital audio output signal
from DIGITAL AUDIO and HDMI2 (ARC function)
terminals.
[Auto]: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and HE-AAC
multi-channel are output as Dolby Digital Bitstream.
MPEG is output as PCM. DTS is output as DTS for video
contents of Media Player.
[pcm]: Digital output signal is fixed to PCM.

It never hurts to make sure you can return the Beam if it does work as you wish. If you buy direct from Sonos, you have a no questions ask return policy, 45 days I think.
Thanks for your reply I couldn’t put my hand on the user guide so you have been really helpful. I will order my Beam and look forward to using it ??
The internet is your friend, as is Google search. I'm willing to bet Melvimbe just pulled up a copy of the user guide/manual online and read through it 🙂
The internet is your friend, as is Google search. I'm willing to bet Melvimbe just pulled up a copy of the user guide/manual online and read through it :)

Nope. I used Bing, and I didn't actually read through it, just search on the word 'dolby'. :-)

To be fair, I don't think looking at user manuals to answer these kind of questions are that intuitive to the average user, and sometimes the manuals don't talk about this, or the TV has been updated with firmware. Even then, the manuals aren't always written very clearly, in layman's terms.
Bing? What's wrong with you, man?

OK, not supposed to have religious arguments here, sorry 🙂
I'm really search tool agnostic. I happen to do this search at work where bing is the default search tool. I haven't bothered to switch it. I tend to use google everywhere is, although google isn't on my favorite companies list these days.
Based on the user guide, p. 17, I'd say yes it will pass through just fine.

SPDIF: A standard audio transfer file format
Selects the initial setting for digital audio output signal
from DIGITAL AUDIO and HDMI2 (ARC function)
terminals.
[Auto]: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and HE-AAC
multi-channel are output as Dolby Digital Bitstream.
MPEG is output as PCM. DTS is output as DTS for video
contents of Media Player.
[pcm]: Digital output signal is fixed to PCM.

It never hurts to make sure you can return the Beam if it does work as you wish. If you buy direct from Sonos, you have a no questions ask return policy, 45 days I think.

Hi I have now bought my beam and my fears have realised ? I have set my beam up and selected DD on the sky Q menu am I missing something? Thanks