Question

Panasonic DX802B - Audio Latency Issues

• 14 August 2016
  • 4 replies

Hello All,

Just recently purchased a Panasonic 50DX802B 4K TV. My current audio set up is everything going into the TV via HDMI and than Audio out to the SONOS Playbar, Sub & two Play:1's, i.e 5.1.

My issues start with HDMI 5.1 passthrough to optical out. Theres is an unusual, un-bearable delay where the audio is after the video. Unfortunately the SONOS lip-sync only works for video after audio.

5.1 audio from the built-in apps are fine with no lag and also with PCM/Stereo so its seems isolated to HDMI passthrough to optical.

I know they're solutions with an HDMI switcher etc and I will be trying an audio extractor via ARC later in the month. (something like this http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html). The guys over at AVforums have also confirmed the same issue with their TV's.

I've seen positive results here, where SONOS have worked with Samsung etc to fix issues, I wonder can SONOS do the same with Panasonic (I've tried!)?

Has anyone used that ARC audio extractor with good results?

cheers in advance for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Use of ARC has additional dependencies on the TV. An HDMI audio de-embedder would strip the audio from the HDMI on its way to the TV, offering a simpler approach. However if you require TV-sourced audio, such as from apps, this may not be sufficient.
Use of ARC has additional dependencies on the TV. An HDMI audio de-embedder would strip the audio from the HDMI on its way to the TV, offering a simpler approach. However if you require TV-sourced audio, such as from apps, this may not be sufficient.

Cheers for the reply, I understand what you mean and I've just been reading that people are having problems with ARC on the TV in question, but its worth a try.

I like to have my device management done via the TV and not the HDMI splitter as it requires another remote control.

Would like to hear from SONOS themselves to see if they can contact Panasonic to see if they can fix it with a software update.
Badge
Hi, did you get any mileage with this? I've recently bought the 58DX802B and noticed that it's not passing 5.1 through the optical out when playing content via HDMI inputs. (For example 5.1 is coming through fine on built in Amazon Video app but only 2.0 via the fire TV plugged into HDMI).

You stated that yours was (albeit with a delay) and I was wondering how you did this? Also did you try the ARC -> optical approach?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi rich.upshall,

The Panasonic TV is likely not allowing the Dolby Digital content to pass through the audio output. Before using an ARC based audio extractor you would want to be sure the TV does limit the audio output through the ARC based connection as well. I took a quick look at the manual for your TV and it seems it should be able to pass through Dolby Digital without any issue but it is a little vague on any other audio format types. The most common approach we notice folks using to bypass this is by using HDMI switch with optical audio output. Most switches on the market will allow Dolby Digital content to pass through with no issue.