Pairing Play 5's with Playbar for Surround sound

• 14 February 2017
  • 7 replies

I currently have play 3s as my surround speakers and was wondering if the play 5s in that position would be worth the $1000 bucks? Would love to hear from other users. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Most previous threads on this subject suggest that anything other than Play:1s as surround speakers is overkill, and not cost efficient. Were I you, I'd get a pair of Play:1s to use, and then use the pair of Play:3s for music somewhere else in your home.
I currently use Play 5's with the playbar and sub and very happy with the sound quality on movies but its even better when playing music. If just wanting for the surround speakers go with the play 1's however if you are planning on playing music and is a big enough room the play 5's work great.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
randomlyrandom Hit my advice bang on...

If, and only if, you have a larger room that you must fill with awesome music sound and want to have a single 5.1 setup in that room... then go with the 5s and have the surrounds set to "full" when playing music and I think you will be very happy...

But, if you are planning on them for just surrounds, or have a smaller room to fill, the 1's are more than enough and the 5s are definitely overkill.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have several Sonos speakers and I use Play1s for the surrounds. Had Play3 and changed them to Play1s.
They do not do much in 5.1 but are great for music.

My thoughts...
I have several Sonos speakers and I use Play1s for the surrounds. Had Play3 and changed them to Play1s.
They do not do much in 5.1 but are great for music.

Does either 3 or 5 pair deliver noticeably better sound than 1 units in the Full mode? I know that they are said to not do so in Ambient mode.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
One of the great things about Sonos is you can move them around as often as you like as it is easy. I always run my surrounds in Full mode. IMO the Play1s are enough and anything more is too much for movies.

Hope this helps
Yes, but my question was whether the 5 pair in surround but Full mode for music play add more to sound quality/listening pleasure over a 1 pair.