Answered

Pairing my Samsung 4k with sonos: play 5 and Beam

• 23 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I currently owned a play:5. I used it to play music only, love it. Now, I just purchased a 4K Samsung TV along with a sonos bean soundtrack. My question is how can I pair them up? To play TV and music.
icon

Best answer by lewisc 23 November 2018, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The TV can’t be “paired” via Wi-Fi with any Sonos product. For your particular case, if the TV has some sort of analog output, you could connect that to the line in on the PLAY:5, and pay the minimum delay of 70ms that Sonos has on an analog input.

You’d be much better off with one of Sonos speakers that are actually designed for use with TV sets: the Beam, the PLAYBASE, or the PLAYBAR. All of which have digital inputs that you wouldn’t have such a delay on.

Before deciding on such a purchase, do some research, and make sure you’re making an informed decision.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
You should have your TV connected to the Sonos Beam via HDMI ARC, then you can group the beam and Play 5 together. If your TV isn't compatible with the Beam then you could always connect you TV to the Play 5 via 3.5mm (similar to my setup: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sharing-my-new-sonos-setup-with-vinyl-player-and-tv-connection-6797724)
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Using line-in on a Play:5 to connect to a TV would SUCK due to the delay. Just use the ARC connection for TV->Beam.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I've used that exact setup for nearly a year with no delays what so ever, even with the connection going via an audio switcher. But the ARC would be better