Pairing a Beam with a Connect

• 28 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Forgive me if this seems like an obvious question, but I haven't been able to dig up a definitive answer.

I have a Sonos Connect that feeds into an old school power amp that drives a couple of passive speakers and a sub.

If I were to connect a Beam to my TV, would I be able to pair that with the Connect to output audio from my TV through my amp? I don't need a surround setup, L+R will do just fine.

Would there be any sync issues and would I be able to do this over wi-fi, rather than having to hard wire either device to the network?

Thanks in advance for any input!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes, you could ‘group’ the two rooms together, and would get a stereo output of the TV input from the CONNECT:AMP.

Yes, there would be a minimum of a 75ms delay between the Beam’s ‘room’ and the CONNECT:AMP’s ‘room’. This delay is not removable. If the two devices are in separate rooms, it shouldn’t be an issue, if they’re both in the same room, I’d be concerned. Note that when streaming music, not using the TVs signal, the two rooms would be in sync. 

Yes, you could do this on WiFi, no cabling required. 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify:

The device I have is the original Connect, not the Connect:AMP - not sure if this makes any difference?

My amp is indeed in the same room as the TV. My goal is to watch movies etc. with audio routed through my existing speakers. My TV might have an option to delay the video relative to the audio, but if the Beam and Connect are out of sync that won’t really help.
Sounds like this setup won’t be able to what I’m after...

Follow up question: How is this handled through a more traditional Sonos surround setup (Beam + two 5’s + two 1’s or whatever is the norm)? How would this not have the same sync issue?

Thanks!

No, the major difference between the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP, for purposes of this discussion, is only that the latter is driving third party speakers, other than that, they’d act the same. 

If they’re in the same room, it would be untenable for me. The echo affect would be terrible, and if you played with the delay on the Beam to get it to be more in sync with the other speakers, the lip sync visual issue would drive me crazy.

Surround speakers are ‘bonded’ in the same ‘room’ as the Beam, and since they are not in a different ‘room’ in the software, they play in sync. As soon as you remove them from that logical construction of that ‘room’ in the software, they become subject to the base programmed functionality that make Sonos a ‘whole home sound system’. 

Thanks again.

Since the Beam and the Connect would be in the same physical room, I would most likely set them up as the same room in Sonos. I suppose that would alleviate the sync issues between the two units, but not the video/audio lag?

So, would it be possible for me to set up the above as a pseudo surround system - effectively L+C+R? Or what would that take? I assume it is not the extra two speakers that makes the difference …

Thanks!

Thanks again.

Since the Beam and the Connect would be in the same physical room, I would most likely set them up as the same room in Sonos. I suppose that would alleviate the sync issues between the two units, but not the video/audio lag?

Sonos rooms have nothing to do with the physical room the are placed in.  You cannot bond a Beam and Connect together to play as a single Sonos room, they must be separate rooms in the Sonos app.  And then obviously, the lag is not avoidable.

So, would it be possible for me to set up the above as a pseudo surround system - effectively L+C+R? Or what would that take? I assume it is not the extra two speakers that makes the difference …

Thanks!

Still no, since this question is still based on your original incorrect assumption. To provide further information, although Sonos has a lot of flexibility with how you can setup a Sonos room, you are still restricted to the more common configurations.

Although it’s going to cost a bit more, I think the best option would be to get a Sonos Amp.  It can connect directly to your TV, power your existing speakers and work with your sub.  You can then sell or repurpose your existing amp and connect.