Question

Oppo203 with Sonos ARC DTS concern

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi

Just asked this in my other thread but think its best as a different topic.

I want to get the ARC but I have concerns about playing discs with DTS on my oppo203 which is connected to my LG CX.

I know DTS is lacking in both the LG CX and Sonos ARC, not a huge issue as I don't own many discs, but I still rent discs occasionally and some will be DTS.

Would I get no sound at all or would It output in stereo?

Just need to be sure on this as don't want to go buying an £800 soundbar to find i get no sound at all on DTS discs.

I have everything set as bitstream/passthrough.

Im not to fussed about transcoding DTS to DD on my player, if it can do that great, but if I leave it on bitstream I would just like to know if I will just get stereo.

The main thing is I want to be sure I will get some form of sound from DTS discs.

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It should work after Sonos releases their multichannel PCM update.

Having a TV that doesn’t support DTS actually helps you here. The TV will report to the Oppo through EDID that it does not support DTS.

Most players (and I assume the Oppo) will decode to multichannel PCM (even when set to bitstream) if DTS is unsupported.

The flow is something like this:

Audio track is Dolby → Bitstream is set → Dolby is supported → Send Dolby Bitstream

Audio track is DTS → Bitstream is set → DTS is NOT supported → Decode to multichannel PCM

This still won’t work right until Sonos releases their multichannel PCM update.  Sonos has promised this update, but no ETA.

For now, you could manually set your Oppo to 2ch PCM, and it would decode DTS audio to stereo. You’ll have sound, but it won’t be surround.  That would require switching the setting every time you play a disc with a different audio format, but it should only be temporary.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I have tried using an optical cable as through my TV (LG B7V) I get no sound from the oppo via hdmi when it is DTS.

with the optical cable I get 2.0 stereo which sounds very poor compared to normal.

I hear that an Xbox one will transcode DTS to DD on the fly and Samsung uhd blue rays will do the same

can anyone confirm this is the case???

Bc

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Having a TV that doesn’t support DTS actually helps you here. The TV will report to the Oppo through EDID that it does not support DTS.

Most players (and I assume the Oppo) will decode to multichannel PCM (even when set to bitstream) if DTS is unsupported.

Audio track is Dolby → Bitstream is set → Dolby is supported → Send Dolby Bitstream

Audio track is DTS → Bitstream is set → DTS is NOT supported → Decode to multichannel PCM

This still won’t work right until Sonos releases their multichannel PCM update.  Sonos has promised this update, but no ETA.

For now, you could manually set your Oppo to 2ch PCM, and it would decode DTS audio to stereo. You’ll have sound, but it won’t be surround.  That would require switching the setting every time you play a disc with a different audio format, but it should only be temporary.

That’s great info, I was thinking that the LG not supporting DTS as well may help in this instance. Thank’s again.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I currently have two HDMI cables and I am manually swapping the input into my ARC.

From the Oppo 203 I have one HDMI running to my C9 and then from the C9 to the ARC. That works for Dolby discs. 

For the DTS tracks I have a second cable from The Oppo optical output using the HDMI convertor that came with the ARC. I have set the Oppo to play Dolby only through the optical output.

I had considered buying an HDMI switch to save manually changing HDMI inputs but will wait for PCM update first as, per above, I hope that solves the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s great info, I was thinking that the LG not supporting DTS as well may help in this instance. Thank’s again.

Just a disclaimer.  This is how my player works.  I assume the Oppo behaves the same, but I don’t know for sure.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I currently have two HDMI cables and I am manually swapping the input into my ARC.

From the Oppo 203 I have one HDMI running to my C9 and then from the C9 to the ARC. That works for Dolby discs. 

For the DTS tracks I have a second cable from The Oppo optical output using the HDMI convertor that came with the ARC. I have set the Oppo to play Dolby only through the optical output.

I had considered buying an HDMI switch to save manually changing HDMI inputs but will wait for PCM update first as, per above, I hope that solves the issue.

I don’t think the update will completely solve your problem.  The problem is the C9.  That TV will always send an EDID that indicates that DTS is supported.

To get Atmos, you have to set the player to bitstream.  If bitstream is set, and the TV reports support for DTS, the player will bitstream DTS for titles with a DTS track.

I think you will need something between the player and the TV to fake out the EDID.  I am planning to experiment with this, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Without a device between the player and TV, you could manually change your settings every time.  Bitstream for Dolby and Decode for DTS.

All of this depends on Sonos releasing their multichannel PCM update.  DTS decoded to multichannel PCM doesn’t do any good until the Arc can use that signal.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

I have tried using an optical cable as through my TV (LG B7V) I get no sound from the oppo via hdmi when it is DTS.

with the optical cable I get 2.0 stereo which sounds very poor compared to normal.

I hear that an Xbox one will transcode DTS to DD on the fly and Samsung uhd blue rays will do the same

can anyone confirm this is the case???

Bc

Unfortunately, your TV only supports ARC, so you would need a player that transcodes DTS to DD to get true surround sound.  I have never owned a player that does this, but they do exist.

eARC makes things much easier.  Your player only needs to decode DTS to multichannel PCM.  That feature is available on almost every player.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I don’t think the update will completely solve your problem.  The problem is the C9.  That TV will always send an EDID that indicates that DTS is supported.

To get Atmos, you have to set the player to bitstream.  If bitstream is set, and the TV reports support for DTS, the player will bitstream DTS for titles with a DTS track.

I think you will need something between the player and the TV to fake out the EDID.  I am planning to experiment with this, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Without a device between the player and TV, you could manually change your settings every time.  Bitstream for Dolby and Decode for DTS.

All of this depends on Sonos releasing their multichannel PCM update.  DTS decoded to multichannel PCM doesn’t do any good until the Arc can use that signal.

Thanks for the response.

If you ever do find something that works in your experiments could you let me know please.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi 

yes you are correct I seem to be left with the choice of Xbox one X or a Samsung 4k spinner which they have now stopped making and are essentially obsolete as is the OPPO.

I have gone for the Samsung(as it is much less than an Xbox) and picked one up on eBay for a reasonable price hopefully that will work and see me through until Sonos do the LPCM fix. otherwise I may have to try the Xbox.

Bc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

Just to let you know I now have a Samsung UBD-M9000 alongside my OPPO 203. I have it set to play bitstream DTS to DD and it works a treat and sounds great through the Arc. probably not as good as original DTS track but much better than not being able to use the disc at all!