Only getting Stereo PCM from Samsung Q80b + Sonos Arc (no dolby atmos / 5.1)

• 20 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

My Sonos arc (arc + surround + sub) is connected to a Samsung QN80Q80b through the HDMI eARC port. I have tried playing atmos content (movies tagged as dolby atmos) through the native (to the TV) netflix and disney + apps. Each time, on my sonos app, I see it as Stereo PCM not dolby atmos (verified in the about my system page as well).

Any advice? I’m stumped. Expert settings on the TV audio have HDMI-eARC Mode and Digital Output Format set to Auto. Dolby ATMOS is enabled. 

EDIT: Welp that was an easy fix. Had to reboot my TV (Hold down the power button till the tv turns off then back on). The TV was previously connected to a playbar … maybe that was the issue that rebooting fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Akiryzon 

Thanks for your post!

A reboot of the TV (though I usually recommend unplugging the TV from power for a minute or two) can clear a lot of issues with Home Theatre sound - it’s my #1 go-to.

If the issue reoccurs, you could try setting the Digital Output Format to Passthrough or Bitstream, if those options are available (you may need to play Atmos or 5.1 content while changing the setting for all options to be available).

I’m glad to hear you got it fixed, however, and thanks for updating your post!