Answered

Noobie Questions around Home Threatre Setup

• 8 August 2021
  • 5 replies

So for the last few years, I’ve been living in the dark ages somewhat with nothing more than an HD TV in the living room.

The recent purchase of a PS5 has been the catalyst for me to start sliding down a slippery slope to building out a decent surround sound setup in our front room. The first port of call is going to be a new 4K TV (likely to be an LG OLED48CX5LC).

However, having asked a question on Amazon around how high the TV stands (so I could figure out whether the Sonos Beam I have would cover the picture), I was basically told that it wouldn’t fit- but not to worry about it, because the direct sound from the TV is better than the Beam anyway so I don’t need a sound bar.

So I guess I have a few questions that come off the back of that:

• Is that a fair point? Should I not worry about the Beam?
  • If I’m not going to use the Beam, can I still connect my SLs for surround sound? If so, how do I do that?
  • Again if the sound from the TV is so good, should I not be thinking about upgrading the sound bar to an Arc? 

Thanks a lot for the help. As you can tell I’m new to this, so any thoughts/suggestions would be really helpful!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 August 2021, 20:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have the LG C9 OLED .. you just need to change the manufacturer-supplied TV stand for a vesa desktop stand/mount, like the example shown in the image below…

Otherwise you won’t be able to use your Sonos One SL’s with the TV… such stands, as the example shown, are adjustable in height and can swivel etc. They are ideal for all the LG range, but perhaps do your own research before buying.

Hope that assists. 

Also just to add, the TV audio from the built in TV speakers is not a patch on the sound-out you will achieve with the Beam/Arc and Surrounds… not even in the same league.

Otherwise you won’t be able to use your Sonos One SL’s with the TV

Hi ​​​​@Ken_Griffiths - thanks very much for the reply. It’s really appreciated!

Just so I’m clear, are you saying that I won’t be able to use the SLs without the Beam - and that without the stand above, I won’t be able to use the beam without it blocking some of the picture?

Thanks again!

You will not be able to use the SL’s standalone with the TV audio, there’s no way to get the audio out to those speakers direct from your TV. You will need a Sonos main HT device setup with the TV, like a Beam or Sonos Arc etc; connected to the TV’s HDMI-2 Arc/eARC port. You can then ‘bond’ the SL’s to that main device over a wireless connection to use for Dolby TV surround sound audio or music audio. 

The vesa mount/TV stand mentioned earlier, will (I believe) replace the LG stand and raise the TV to whatever height you need, to lift the TV screen above the height of the Arc/Beam - it’s similar to those that use a wall mount for a TV, except the example ‘mount’ shown is a desktop version of the vesa mount.

Understood - thanks very much again