No Surround Sound From Oppo 203?

• 1 September 2018
  • 9 replies

I need some help with my brand new Sonos setup. I have a Beam and 2 Ones for surround sound.

I have a LG E7P and I'm not getting surround sound from my Oppo UDP-203, only stereo.

Everything is hooked up through HDMI and my Apple TV works just fine giving me 5.1 surround sound.
I imagine the Oppo 203 must be popular, so I hope somebody can help me get surround sound.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
What is the source Audio? If it’s DTS it’s not going to work
Well, it’s my fault for not checking. I just assumed everything can handle DTS these days.. I’m kinda disappointed, especially since the Beam and 2 Ones aren’t exactly cheap.

So... now that I know the Beam doesn’t support DTS, I’ll get cracking on google. Still open to suggestions if there is a good work around...

Anybody?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I always recommend doing proper research before purchasing anything. If the source is Atmos, DD+ or TrueHD then it will automatically be downcoverted. For DTS you would need a player that can transcode from DTS to DD
Did you try to connect Sonos with Oppo 203 throught optical cable and set S/PDIF to Dobly digital ? Also switch input source on remote to ARC:HDMI OUT to activate ARC.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The OP is connected through hdmi, and as above DTS is not supported so the only solution is to have a player that can transcode it to DD
The OP is connected through hdmi, and as above DTS is not supported so the only solution is to have a player that can transcode it to DD
Oppo 203 is capable of transcoding DTS etc. to DD. Here is my setting :

Fire TV 4k\PS4\Oppo 203 ---HDMI cables---> Sony TV, enable ARC on TV and Oppo.
Oppo 203 ---optical cable---> Playbase.

In Oppo Setup Menu--Audio Output Setup, set HDMI Audio Format to Off and S/PDIF Output to Dolby Digital.

The trick here is Oppo could transcode DTS etc. to DD5.1 on Optical output but not on HDMI output.
I got the following from Oppo customer service:

”The player relies on EDID handshakes to determine what audio formats are compatible with the HDMI output, so your receiving device will need to handshake Dolby Digital for the player to output in Dolby Digital.

So the only thing you will want to make sure is that under Audio Processing that you have DTS NEO:6 disabled and under Audio Output Setup Secondary Audio is set to Off and HDMI Audio is set to Bitstream.”

I changed the settings on my 203 and it did work. I have yet to test multiple audio tracks, but so far so good over HDMI. I’ll report back if I run into any problems.

My Xbox One X was fine too. Those settings were very straight forward.
Update:

I tried several discs and unfortunately DTS doesn't work over HDMI... It's silent. I think the settings above just down mix Dolby tracks into DD5.1 like vazandrew mentioned...

I want to try gp0308's solution next, but the Beam only has one HDMI in and requires an adaptor to use optical. Hmm...I'll try to think of a way to work that out, but still open to recommendations.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
You would have to use the adapter and connect via optical. You would lose CEC support and have to manually program a remote if you want to use one.