No sound on Sony 49x900f

• 26 November 2018
  • 10 replies

Just tried to connect a new beam to a new Sony 49x900f via hdmi arc - no sound....
I go to - home - settings - external inputs - Bravia sync settings - Bravia sync control .....and it won’t allow me to switch that on - I just get message “not available while Bravia sync compatible audio system is used”...?
When I go to “Bravia sync devise list” I get a non specific audio devise and when I try to enable it nothing happens....
When I connect through the optical cable it works but no volume control from the remote.....
Is it possible to start the whole configuration process all over ? - completely formatting the app and the beam ?....
Thank you in advance
Ittai

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I posted a similar question last night as I have the same TV and issue as you. I hope we get a response soon.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I have the 900e but it should be the same in terms of setup. Go to sound adjustments - advanced and make sure it's set to Dolby Digital (not Dolby Digital Plus)
Thank you but my issue is the TV won’t recognize the beam.
Userlevel 7
Thank you but my issue is the TV won’t recognize the beam.

Did you even consider the advice given by vazandrew :?
Yes, didn’t do anything. It was set to Dolby Digital already.
Userlevel 7
@All

This issue is getting to be more of the norm rather than the exception. I replied to another OP with the response below. It's not a solution but more of a reason why. You can probably continue searching the forum for an answer and you may find one. I'd also contact Sony to see what they have to say. If they have a solution please post it for all to see. Good Luck!

Unfortunately, your conclusion above is correct. However, I wouldn't blame Sonos. I have a Beam that worked perfectly using HDMI_ARC with a 6 year old Sony. Sony at the time had no proprietary software conjoined with the ARC technology. I switched the Beam to a 5 year old Samsung with ARC with its proprietary AnyNet+CEC and while it works to turn the TV on it will not turn it off.

I came to the conclusion (right or wrong) that until there is a governing body; similar to the Wi-Fi Alliance, that dictates how ARC is to be universally configured and implemented by TV manufacturers it will remain a hit or miss application. Having said that it doesn't completely exonerate Sonos (as I don't know how Sonos incorporated ARC); but for now given I've had mixed results with two TV's by different manufacturers I have to point the finger at them.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
That is very strange as the 900e and 900f are very similar. I just followed the prompts on the app and when I connected to ARC I got sound. Bravia sync wouldn't factor into it at all. Out of curiosity, what were you playing on the TV when you were getting no sound?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
CEC and ARC are different things by the way.
Yeah, it is driving me crazy. It plays music from my phone when I stream to it but it won’t play anything from the Apple TV.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
What is the Apple TV set to in audio settings? If on Best available, switch to Dolby Digital 5.1