Answered

No sound on beam when first switching on samsung TV

• 19 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi All,

I have an intermittent issue where when I switch on or Samsung TV (after it’s been on standby) there will be no sound coming out of the beam. I then must select another source/input on the tv and then switch it back and then the sound will kick back in.

I have had this issue for ages and is a bit of pain and wondered if anyone has had the same or knows how to fix it?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 December 2021, 00:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

In Settings do you have TV Autoplay enabled?

Yes, just doubled checked. it a weird one, when I first switch the tv on no sound, but if I change the source on the tv it will click back in.

That sounds to me like an issue with the Beam registering with the CEC controller in the TV properly when the system is energized. 

I’d be trying a few things. First, check the TV and the Sonos for any software updates, and apply them as needed. Then unplug both devices from power (don’t just turn them off, it isn’t the same thing) for at least two minutes. Plug the TV back in to power first, wait another minute for it to reload its operating system, then plug in the Beam, and give it a minute to power up and load its operating system again as well. 

Test to see if you continue to have issues, and let us know. 

Thanks Bruce, I will give that a Try and report back

I’ve been having a similar issue with my beam and Sony TV. It happens randomly, if I change the channel and then there is no sound (but not all the time). I then need to go into my TV settings for speakers, switch back to TV speakers and then back to external. Very frustrating. 

I have tried unplugging, autoplay is enabled, all updates are loaded and I have tried changing to different audio settings like “cinema” “sports” etc… but it still happens.

Any new suggestions?

Contact Sony? It sounds like the TV is losing the ability to send data to the speaker until the CEC is re-initialized. 

what’s CEC?

what’s CEC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Essentially, for those not willing to look at Ken’s link, CEC is the industry wide system that also contains ARC, which is what the Sonos reads to play audio.

Sonos is merely a ‘client’ device to the CEC system that runs on the TV set itself. It has little ‘control’ over things…Sonos publishes to CEC that it exists as a speaker, and tells the system what formats it can process. All the hard work occurs in the electronics of the TV set, or projectors, on the few that have ARC.